Would this play work on low/med. stakes?

kingme620

kingme620

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Admittedly this is play money, but I am just experimenting so that I won't have to waste real money doing it. Should I ever try a play like this in low stakes ring games? How about med stakes? From experience I know that abc poker works very well on those stakes below 10 cents, but plays like these are fun :D

Stage #975702078: Holdem No Limit $100 - 2008-05-07 16:29:47 (ET)
Table: BELUGA DR (Play Money) Seat #2 is the dealer
Seat 2 - KINGME620 ($19700 in chips)
Seat 5 - MAG83 ($6119.99 in chips)
Seat 6 - FALLINDOWN ($39582 in chips)
Seat 8 - ONE_E ($141712.33 in chips)
Seat 9 - BOOSYBIH ($25650 in chips)
Seat 1 - MUDDUCK63 ($248894.95 in chips)
MAG83 - Posts small blind $50
FALLINDOWN - Posts big blind $100
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to KINGME620 [9h 6d]
ONE_E - Calls $100
BOOSYBIH - Calls $100
MUDDUCK63 - Calls $100
KINGME620 - Raises $800 to $800
MAG83 - Folds
FALLINDOWN - Calls $700
ONE_E - Calls $700
BOOSYBIH - Calls $700
MUDDUCK63 - Calls $700
*** FLOP *** [2d 4s 2c]
FALLINDOWN - Bets $100
ONE_E - Calls $100
BOOSYBIH - Calls $100
MUDDUCK63 - Calls $100
KINGME620 - Raises $2000 to $2000
FALLINDOWN - Folds
ONE_E - Folds
BOOSYBIH - Folds
MUDDUCK63 - Folds
KINGME620 - returned ($1900) : not called
*** SHOW DOWN ***
KINGME620 - Shows [9h 6d] (One pair, twos)
KINGME620 Collects $4550 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total Pot($4550)
Board [2d 4s 2c]
Seat 1: MUDDUCK63 Folded on the FLOP
Seat 2: KINGME620 (dealer) collected Total ($4550) HI:($4550) with One pair, twos [9h 6d - B:2d,B:2c,P:9h,P:6d,B:4s]
Seat 5: MAG83 (small blind) Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 6: FALLINDOWN (big blind) Folded on the FLOP
Seat 8: ONE_E Folded on the FLOP
Seat 9: BOOSYBIH Folded on the FLOP

On a real table of course I wouldn't show.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your image. No one can put you on a 2 here so your image would have to be that of a tight player who wouldn't raise preflop without high pockets or a complete manic (but the maniac might just get looked up). What do you think you're representing?

Either way it's a bad play against 4 opponents at a play $$ table who definitely could hold a deuce.

kingme620

kingme620

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Either way it's a bad play against 4 opponents at a play $$ table who definitely could hold a deuce.
Well ultimately my goal is to get used to making different plays that I would never of made before and then learn to apply them to the correct situations later. I know it's a bad play here since they could hold literally anything, but I'm wondering how effective it would be against better opponents.

I think the only way this play wouldn't work is if somebody knew I was bluffing or was slowplaying. Both ways I am probably out by the turn. But I figure that I am representing high pockets and my image (if anybody is paying attention) is pretty tight since I would be playing my usual game on lower limits.

I guess my question is: Should I attempt to experiement with position plays like this on low limit real money or just stick to what works?

widowmaker89

widowmaker89

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing tight and have a good image, sure you can take pots like this but whats the point. Why not wait until you at least get a little better cards, say suited connectors, to do this with and give yourself more of a chance to win. Since you can only do this rarely, since you must keep a tight image, I would suggest picking better cards to do it with so you at least have a chance to hit a hand in the process.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its hard to practice the amount to bluff playmoney, need to bet about ten times as much as you normally would to get them to fold (which you are doing). The money you steal has to be greater than the money you lose when you're caught.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
errrr Ill be playing nl$100 tomorrow night if you feel like trying.

D

drawingneardead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was watching a rerun of Poker after Dark the other night and I believe it was Chris Ferguson (speaking to Gus Hanson) who said:

"Yea, it keeps working until it doesn't."

His point being that when it doesn't work you often lose more than you have made on those types of play.

The biggest problem is that you are risking too much money to win too little. It looks as though there was about $450 in the pot when you raised $800.

Betting the pot here would have served the same purpose as overbetting it. You are effectively asking if any players like thier hand. If you can get an answer for $400 instead of $800, you should.

Every bet you make should have an informational purpose. (Juicing the pot does not count) The bet should always be the smallest you can make it while still serving your purpose.

As far as making this type of play in low limit games, you could justify it in the name of varying your play (assuming you keep a tight table image).

Whenever you add a new weapon to your arsenal, you should use it sparingly for a time. When a (good) tight player "makes a play", it is usually because the opportunity presented itself. Particularly when bluffing, we don't look to do it but we do when it becomes situationally viable.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The biggest problem is that you are risking too much money to win too little. It looks as though there was about $450 in the pot when you raised $800.

Betting the pot here would have served the same purpose as overbetting it. You are effectively asking if any players like thier hand. If you can get an answer for $400 instead of $800, you should.

Ignoring the fact that this is play money and raises probably need to be a bit bigger to get any respect, keep in mind that there are already three limpers in this pot.

There's a rule of thumb about raising 3BB + 1BB for each limper. Going off that, it'd make the opening bet size around $600 at the least.