Why do people sit out?

B

ballhawknet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive sat out many times , usually just to take a break or when I get moved to a new table just so I can get a feel . I also have registered for a tourny then fell asleep and missed the whole thing. And finished 339 th out of 1400 !!! . The money was 153rd . After finishing in the botom half the last few touneys am now considering sleeping through some more :)

S

snrcreech

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a single father. My daughter will be 3 in march and my son is 15 months old. So in a lenghthy tourney i will end up sitting out several times. Exa: Diaper changes, snacks, booboos, kids needing my attention for a moment. I try to schedule the tourneys I play in to match the time they are asleep, however, it doesn't always work out like that. So if my choices are to sit out and offend someone at a poker table or neglect my parental duties, You guessed right I will offend you every day of the week

S

smoking_all

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
why do people get in tourneys then unregester i try to get in when full and alwat end up in because people join then jump out real quick

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a school of thought that suggests missing the first half hour is fine. I have done this on purpose with no ill effects. The first half hour is usually the kind of poker none of us like anyway.

I remember often sitting at whole tables with nothing but zombies. I learned to play fast at those tables. At one party poker tourney early '06 I had more than one table cleaned out by the first break. Never saw a live player till after the break. I played by the sound that it was my turn to act, and had the pointer over the raise button. Didn't even watch most of the hands.

What I learned most was to watch a new table and figure out who is there and who isn't. It presents a unique online opportunity to gain an advantage.

I remember getting into a $10 heads up game at a small site, with slow to fill up games. I watched the lobby and saw that this one game had not started in like 15 minutes. I joined, turned out the guy was watching football, and waiting, and before he knew it, I had stolen all his blinds but one, which of course he had to play, but was there explaining and bitching, and I had the goods.

Don't be so quick to condemn the sit outs, they are easier money than most fish!

H

herestoya

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would rather have someone sit out than go all in every hand until they are finally put out. I have seen players announce they have to go, and sit there and go all in every hand until they lose all thier chips. You talk about annoying! That is why the tourneys are called sit n go. Duh! Leave if you absolutely have to go.

G

ghostofungar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not sure why most people have to sit out....but I know why i have had to do it...and its pretty simple...My girl and kids...i register for a tourney..with 100% intention on playing... and either 5minutes before start.. or after...my girl tells me we have to go out...or something to that affect....Family comes first.

killerrat

killerrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it is to wait out the ultra aggressives and those who don't know better. At times I might be multi tabeling and have some seriouse buisness to contend with.
But I do find people that where called away for an emergency or just plain forgot they hjad a game to play.