Why do people sit out?

A

aceholemfer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen just about everything. Some sites removeany players not sitting by the 3rd level, some that sit out in sit'n'go's and take 3rd every time, etc. etc. Ususally if I am short stacked and the money cut off is close I don't sit out but pretty much fold/check every hand unless its the nuts. But yes I have sat out alot, pee break, coffee, (hmm the two go together huh?), to pick up my daughter from down the street etc. Either way you look at it quit worrying about it and just play your game.

S

sonni

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont have a problem with ppl sitting out unless i get out before them lol.

K

kcns05

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I get really annoyed when people sit because I like fast paced action and I dont like folding the blinds to someone when I have a terrible hand but it has to be done.

J

jsal25

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
interesting views on the concept of sit out players. I for one do not really like it especially in sit-n-go buy in trnys. In that type of trny, it is a sure thing that they might end up in the payout places. In freerolls, i dont really mind unless the table is overwhelmed with sitting out players.

N

newmania20000

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess some people have more important things in life than winning a 5$ multi.

J

jimguy123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
people sit out so dont dont risk not making money or a seat when they all ready r set to be in it

A

a_debrie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playin in a tournament the other day, and there was only 2 of us not sittin out. After I knocked him out..it was just me and 8 people sitting out! So I just sat there and collected their blinds until I was moved to another table....annoying...but profitable.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sit out for 3 reasons. One is that I'm in the middle of doing something around the house and can't break away at the start. Two is that I'm getting set to play, (gotta have something to drink, the phone, maybe some popcorn). Or, 3, it's strategic when there is a large number at the tables such as over 2,000 players. Let the guppies fight it out and are ready to play serious poker.

Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sitting Out sometimes makes sense

I was in a tournament recently, in which the structure gave you two ways to play the first hour.

1.) Be ready to re-buy in 10 times.
2.) Sit out, go to your room and take a nap.

It was an unlimited rebuy in the first hour. It also had a huge add-on after the first hour. Two guys puts stacks of cash in front of them, and without looking at their cards, proceeded to push all-in, every single hand. All while reading a magazine. This is a decent strategy, but I opted for...

2.) Go to my room, come down in an hour purchase the add on, and play from there.

What do you guys think?

Bulldogmama

Bulldogmama

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I must say that I have been guilty of sitting out from time to time....usually due to signing up for a tourney then forgetting about it. When playing in tourneys I don't let the sitouts bother me, I just take note & when everyone else folds even if I don't have a hand I will raise & steal the sitouts blind. One tourney I played in I did this for the first 45 mins of tourney.....so sitouts can be a blessing if you view them as such.

H

hayden1009

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only sit out if I am called away froma tourny .....I do avoid the early round rammer jammers ....they load up on chips the first few rounds but bleed out with stupid bets by the second or third level.....avoid running with the mad dogs .....you never make the final table that way and you end up with fleas

B

biggamer86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love the sitters because i personally play better short handed and it sure makes for easier blind steals. And if they win money it means people are playing to fast.

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the freerolls at Poker.com because the blinds increase so rapidly, there's no way someone can get into the money by just sitting out.

XXIII

XXIII

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My Thoughts:

- Rather have a person sitting out then going all in. You can't play don't give chips away. Not fair to everyone else. Jusy cause that person had a good hand when you wanted to leave.

- I sit out but only when I am thirsty, hungry, potty, gotta take the mutt out or I just had a bad beat and don't want to go on tilt.

- I dislike people just sitting out when its me and one other guy. I can have a sweet hand and bet big but they call so I can't get 15 chips for free. They pull rags into riches and my pocket kings look like crap.

- Times I should have sit out and taken the top 50 (TEC Freeroll) but I wasn't going to be that guy. So I go from 99% top 50 to 64th on pocket kings

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've wondered whether it is possible to pull a "sit out bluff"? Sit by your computer, and when you are BB and SB raises to steal pot, nip back in with good hand and clobber them!

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
robwhufc said:
I've wondered whether it is possible to pull a "sit out bluff"? Sit by your computer, and when you are BB and SB raises to steal pot, nip back in with good hand and clobber them!
It can be a cheeky tactic but do you really want the rest of the table thinking you are a cheating b*stard and trying to knock you out? And plus you can only do it once, as the guy will be ready for it next time hardly worth it really

D

djjack

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a point has been overlooked. I agree that there are emergency situations which may occur that would require someone to sit out a few hands, and there may be logistical reasons why someone may miss part of a tournament. But I play sit-and-gos where occasionally there will be one person at a 10-player table who sits out for 20-30 hands in a row near the beginning of the tournament. I think that in many cases this is done as a tactic and it is one that the poker sites should remedy.

The argument that sitting out doesn't hurt anyone and is the same as if that person had simply folded those 20-30 hands misses a key point. It is not the same as simply folding, it is the same as folding out of turn - over and over again! The problem is not that the person is sitting out; the problem is that everyone knows in advance that his hand will be folded. This knowledge affects the way the hand will be played. Specifically, the people sitting in the seats to the right of the person sitting out will have opportunities to pick up extra chips. That's good for them, but it's not so good for the people sitting in the seats to the left who have an unfair disadvantage because they have less access to the free chips.

It seems to me that this problem could be easily remedied. Players should be allowed to sit out, but the poker sites do not need to mark the chair as empty when someone is sitting out. Instead the system should just automatically fold the player's cards in turn when the player is sitting out. That way nobody knows in advance that the player is going to fold and the betting will occur naturally.

W

William Barty

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sitting Out

I enjoy sitting out at fulltiltpoker. I get into the nine person sit-n-gos and sit out. The other players are usually so bad that they will take themselves out, leaving me in the money. On average, I'm in the money in 10 out of 12 games.

C

ChrisHrobak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i really dont like to sit out but sometimes my PC lags and want to throw it out the window. But on a occasion i will sit out for a couple to asses the table especially if i havent plyed with them before

Chris

V

Vrilissia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It used to infuriate me when I first moved from FTP to PS, but I finally realised you can take advantage at times which makes up for it :)

111-THEMAD-111

111-THEMAD-111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesnt bother me at all, I know what to expect from that player.............

Ursala

Ursala

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it is best to sit out when not sitting at the table, otherwise I tend to be an active player...

But then again, I haven't been allowed to play poker in, oh about three months.

G

guy incognito

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played in a few VIP tourneys lately where most people register for the free tourney in advance and I kid you not - all three times I have played about 3/4 of the players weren't there.

Smarter players will take it in turns in quickly stealing their blinds by a simple raise, but the other day I played against this moron who would fold to the sit-out players but for some reason wanted to raise me all the time!

had he have worked with me, being the only two players on the table we could have stolen everyones money until it came time other players were moved to our table or we were moved.

I used to sit out in tourneys for periods of time when I just wanted to be ultra-tight and let everyone go mad, but I hate missing a monster so just fold,fold and fold some more

mendozaline

mendozaline

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but the other day I played against this moron who would fold to the sit-out players but for some reason wanted to raise me all the time!

had he have worked with me, being the only two players on the table we could have stolen everyones money until it came time other players were moved to our table or we were moved.
I've seen the same thing a number of times, and if you think about it there's really only one explanation: he's on the side of the bots you're playing against. You're the only other "real" person at the table, so he must be playing for the bots to progress farther in the tournament.