Why do people sit out?

C

Connorsmtc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ALthough i can see how people are annoyed with players who sit out
most of the time i have found the players just had to go the bathroom really bad or had somethign else to do..
And yes sometimes players do it to wait for people to get out but it would still be the same as teh player playing and folding every hand..i dont mind it

JoshLamon

JoshLamon

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are sitting out because there are using more than one account.This happens all the time in freerolls but it wount happen in money tournys.

D

dirty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play real money games, so I don't see this happening often, but if I sit out, its to go get a drink, or use the bathroom.

R

rdizzy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
people simply sit out because they r not there. there is no reason to sit out if u could play

X

xreed

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most people just want to do better.. or get through the first hour of all in mania. So they sit out. I usually just fold my hands because I do not want to risk my chips on that.

A

aaron438

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate when people sit out they do it so they can last in the tournament longer most of them end up getting blinded out when they dont come back to their computer

L

lakeside670

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sitting out

In pokerroom.com sit&gos they can sit out the whole time & get to the final three seats for payout. Other than that if the blinds catch up with you sitting out is useless to me. You dont need to see how other people play if you have the best hand.:)

A

acemagnets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
once I was in a sit & go free game on Ultimate Bet and the other people were telling me to sit out because if every body sits out we will just rack up hours at the tables which I guess earns you points that you can then turn into real $ at the real money tables. People will always find some way to take advantage.

G

great_m0nkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all of you think that people who sit out lose but thats totally false...in free rolls especially if you sit out from the beginning for the first 30 minutes to an hour you will come back and more than half the people in tourney will be eliminated and you will have not lost a lot of chips because the blinds are very low at the start. That is the only time i intentionally sit out but there are other times when i sit out because i have to go do something and what am i supposed to do? Give my money away? Thats dumb I hope for the opportunity to return and honestly compete to win! Sitting out is a great feature and i dont think the majority of people who do it on pokerstars are playing multi accounts althought yes a few likely are...that is actually a good idea being as how i have two computers in my house...havent even thought of that...:D lol especially for free rolls! You are a genius i tell you!

N

n_bbb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
sit outs

i never sit out in tourneys unless i have to go potty...i think it is direspectfull
john

F

frisco

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't sitout, but I play so tight in the beginning I might as well sitout.

J

JesssRabbit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sitting out is a strategy like any other..

I learned to play hold'em online at Ulitimate Bet by playing in their (not far fewer than used to be) freerolls. Eventually I got good enough at it to begin placing in the money with pretty good frequency and even won a couple here and there.

When you are playing for something like a TEC chip and you have a commanding enough lead, sitting out is actually the only sensible thing to do unless you are "going for bragging rights" (something I've done and lost my way out of the money a time or two before I got smart).

"In the money" is all it takes when the same prize is issued for the top X players in a tourney. Those who manage to solidify their positions strongly enough to know that they need play no more would be silly to put their prize at risk. Sitting out in that case is the most sensible of strategies and to be angry about it or feel as though you (assuming you are fighting tooth and nail to get into the money) are being "done out" of your chance is silly. You've had your chance, your bite at the apple.. they made it to the promised land and as the point is to win the prize, why should they bother giving you a shot at taking away what they've already earned?

The last rounds of tourneys are always a made scramble for the last 10 qualifying places. We've all "been there done that", or if you haven't then you most assuredly will if you continue to play and grow your skills. And, when you do get there, unless you want those bragging rights badly enough to rick your ticket into an Arruba tourney for free, you'll sit out too.

Just my 2 bits..

J. Rabbit ;)

J

JesssRabbit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Please note in previous post..

NOT far fewer should read NOW far fewer...

UB recently went through a big change up in things... they increased the chips in sit n go's to 1500 from 1000 and also reduced the number of sitngos substantially as well as changing the hours of the freerolls to horrible hours like 315 AM EST. Their free rolls used to be offered quite often throughout the day and they were wonderful places to learn hold'em. I guess the server couldn't take it or the site got well enough established that they could reduce their free offerings substantially. Chip games are still offered and also make a usefull place to learn.

J. Rabbit :turtle:

L

luckycharms

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
im not sure about other sites but i know on UB some people join the freerolls and then sit out so they can earn ultimate points while not having to play.i dont mind them i take their blinds :p

G

G_man10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's alright to sit out during a tournament, especially if you're doing good. This is just good strategy. You'll give your brain a little rest, you'll still be doing good when you come back to play, and you can't do anything stupid, like 'playing with your chips instead of with your cards'.

Most people who sit out either have a decent amount of chips, or are just not there.

I personally wouldn't sit out for a long time, but I love those who do, just increases my odds of winning hands.

You cannot sit out an entire tournament and win anything, I have tried it in a 5000 pts UB tourney. Not intentionally, but I registered then was unable to play.

But if you are lucky enough to be able to get out to a great start, then you have earned a right to sit out, as long as you want if it means you'll win something. That's just my opinion.

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never sat out unless I've had to use the bathroom, but reading some of this has given me a new perspective on why people do. I guess I like to play and see where my chips lay at the end of it all. Then I know that I did everything I could to try and win.

J

jde_07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on what kind of game. In a tourney I do it because I want to wait out the all-in junkies and avoid getting caught up in stupid bad beat. In a table game I do it sometimes to learn how people are playing or I might have caught a bad beat and just need to take a break from the game or I have seen a cold run of cards and sit out to let cards change up a little bit.

T

TITANS488

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i hate when poeple sit out i have a friend that will sit out every hand until it gets to under 8 people at the table

H

hawkeye2005

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I sit out, it is usually b/c I'm distracted by something and want to give the game my full attention, but take a break and not lose my seat--or I like to be a bit of a voyeur and see if I can sense any betting patterns at the table, or see if players seem to have it "in" for each other, in which case I don't want to play there and get caught up in petty rivalries that will only take my money and fun--i'm sure there are many reasons, some are just system connection issues--a player waits too long to post a blind or bet and gets "sat out" by the system

Thewebmaster

Thewebmaster

Freeroll #2 Winner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sit out occassionally too :)

Hi all,
I know it can be annoying to some but occassionally I sit out myself but there is usually a good reason behind it. Usually I sign up for anywhere up to 10 tournaments at maybe 5 or 6 different poker rooms, needless to say that many of these overlap and start at the same times, I don't play more than one tournament at a time but I also don't like to miss out on any so what I do is start playing my favourite tournament, depending on how it's going i'll either play a lot during the first 30 minutes or i'll play very tight, if it looks like it's going to be one where I'm going to play tight then i'll sit out for 30 minutes and go play my next one, if I can get my chips up high enough in any of the tourneys then i''ll sit out for up to 30 minutes at a time while I go play on the next one and so on, it's not ideal but for me it's better than trying to have more than one poker room open at the same time as this causes me major problems with my pc.
Also there are times when I work out the number of chips I need to be able to come in the money, I sometimes do this at Noble's $100 freeroll, I know that if I can get my chip stack to 10,000 or above I can sit out and come in the money, I can go play another tourney for up to an hour and come back to finish playing, my stack gets depleted quite a bit but i've usually still got enough to carry on playing for a while.
That's my reason for sitting out, sorry for the ones who i've annoyed by doing that, it's not intended.
Good luck :)

Tony ( The Webmaster )

S

sese

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try never to sit out, but sometimes it cannot be helped. Sometimes I sit because there is a player who is all in all the time. Untill he is moved out or goes bust I wait.
I never get mad when people sit.Their money their choice...

A

aznb0i

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
iono maybe they are away doing something.. or just doing muti task at once... i also hate it too but yeah patiant is the key

D

dustin21n

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
majority that sit out at a tourney is mainly due to playing for than 1 tourmey at a time and overall results is not very good.

E

engblachford

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
playing in a limit omaha tourny now and out of the whole table there is me and just one other guy playing. i hate this

K

ke1fer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i understand sometimes somthing may come up forcing a registered player to miss the tourny.However this does reflect the amount of players who do this.
IF U CAN'T PLAY DON'T PLAY!!!!!!!!!!