When your draws do not hit?

1player1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think draws are the some of the most difficult hands to play,
You should win in the long run if betting a little lower according to the chance to win.
But sometimes you feel not hitting for a long period, and somtimes you loose a lot of times to a better hand when hitting.

Banjois

Banjois

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They call them draws for a reason. It's like a little kid doing his best to capture a house on a piece of paper, with four walls and a roof, when everybody else knows somebody is already living in a mansion.

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Remember that in your rock/paper/scissors (chips/cards/position) arsenal, cards are your least reliable weapon.

When you look at your implied odds, like 36% chance of hitting your flush by the river, also factor in your estimate of the probability of your opponent folding to your bet.

So, if you think that you have at least a 14% of making your opponent fold, then that puts your equity at 50%—meaning you should go through with your plan of chasing your flush and/or throwing chips at your opponent.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main thing is not to let your opponent understand that you have a draw combination, in this case you will not earn anything if the desired card falls out. And a lot depends on the opponent and the fold equity.:)

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember a quote by some poker pro, that if you want to play your strong draws passively then better play on slot machines.
Draws can be difficult to play, but I play them aggressively if I think there is a fold equity.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it doesn't work that way! The percentage of collecting the desired combination does not change from the number of hands played! Your draw will have 30% in one case and in a million!

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wel, i play it as semi bluff except when it is obvious other player has no chance to fold!

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are several ways to play with draws but it's important to play against right opponents like fish never fold so stick to plan and let him bet and we call till river and try to hit flush and make him pay and against tight opponents I try to see what bet size he uses if that bigger than I fold on turn but my main strategy is to bet myself and let him fold if not than check on turn and if he checks back we can see river for free and if fish hits on river than I try to bet over pot but the main problem with this strategy is that our hand are like face up.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is a chance that all of your opponents will fold, you can also do a semi-bluff with a good draw. Let's say you raised preflop with KQo, 2 opponents call and the flop brings JT5o. Then you have 8 clear outs with the open ended straight draw. That's what I call a good draw. Then you can try to convince your opponents to fold with a c-bet. If you have 4 opponents it is unlikely that all your opponents will fold in a bet, so in this situation I would play a good draw passively and decide according to the pot odds and implied odds. But there are also situations in which you have an open-ended straight draw but you have to discount outs because it is not certain that when the card comes you will still have the best hand. An example of this is when you hold 56 and the flop brings K47s. Here you have to discount two outs, because a flash draw is possible. You have to take this into account when making your decision. In this situation you only have 6 instead of 8 outs.
I would mostly fold gutshots. Since you only have 4 outs, the chances of hitting the straight are not very high. Unless your pot odds suggest it or you have AK and the flop comes QT4 or something like that. Then the gutshot is worth a little more because when the jack comes you have the nuts. In this situation your gutshot is worthless: you hold 66 and the flop brings 89T. Even if the 7 comes, you probably don't have the best hand because you will be beaten by a jack.

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluff when you have blockers to Nuts..
And check fold if you have showdown or blockers to villains folding range.

Recently I have increased my aggression on the river. Honestly, at microstakes I see opponents end up with very tight ranges on river. So I pick my spots carefully.

1player1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They call them draws for a reason. It's like a little kid doing his best to capture a house on a piece of paper, with four walls and a roof, when everybody else knows somebody is already living in a mansion.

Wow, so you should avoid or limit playing draws?

1player1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember that in your rock/paper/scissors (chips/cards/position) arsenal, cards are your least reliable weapon.

When you look at your implied odds, like 36% chance of hitting your flush by the river, also factor in your estimate of the probability of your opponent folding to your bet.

So, if you think that you have at least a 14% of making your opponent fold, then that puts your equity at 50%—meaning you should go through with your plan of chasing your flush and/or throwing chips at your opponent.

I see your point, but how much should you then bet on a draw?
- bet according to odds?
- bet lower than odds?
- bet according to odds+ implied odds?

And you are called and fail to hit how do you proceed?

And there is also the risk of hitting and getting a pair on the table, creating a chance for opponent to hit full-house.

1player1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main thing is not to let your opponent understand that you have a draw combination, in this case you will not earn anything if the desired card falls out. And a lot depends on the opponent and the fold equity.:)

I got the idea, but find it difficult to play draws correct. Is there any good reading about it on internet?

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When your draws don't hit , its the perfect time to try the old bluff game which I'm not quite good at

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play it very simple either try to make him fold or if hit our flush than go max value.

1player1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much do you bet to make them fold, and what do you do if they reraise?
What if they call and you do not hit?
It can be an expensive adventure?