When You Know You're Making a Mistake but Look for a Reason

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This has got to be my biggest leak. Calling down light because it's "correct" at stakes where people uderbluff, or making fancy bluffs on legitimate scare cards that fit my range snuggly, yet knowing they have top pair and will probably call no matter what. I assume this mindset is better suited for higher stakes where players think at a higher level.

What can I do mindset wise to listen to my gut instinct more? Especially since I often know the next click I make will be a mistake, yet I still do it, and I'm correct in suspecting it's a mistake 90% of the time. Thankfully this doesn't happen often, usually only if I'm tired in a long session or had some drinks. But I can't figure out why I occasionally still decide to do this against better judgement. I literally look for reasons to defy my instinct [emoji52]

Has anyone ever had this issue? How did you overcome it?

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What can I do mindset wise to listen to my gut instinct more? Especially since I often know the next click I make will be a mistake, yet I still do it, and I'm correct in suspecting it's a mistake 90% of the time. Thankfully this doesn't happen often, usually only if I'm tired in a long session or had some drinks. But I can't figure out why I occasionally still decide to do this against better judgement. I literally look for reasons to defy my instinct [emoji52]

I try to avoid making decisions by instinct as much as possible. The way you discribe it it feels more like inconsistency in play (strategywise) trough loss of concentration. Wich is something I also struggled with being driven by "you need to achieve x sample today/ for the month" playing intoxicated etc.

Be honest with yourself and plan your sessions. That's what helped me. Take breaks after x amount of hands and listen to your body. Ask yourself, am I able to play my A-game rn? If the answer is no, then don't play. Use the time to study for instance. Or take a break, go drink a a coffee with a friend and then come back later, when you feel better.

We want to make decisions with our mind, not our gut :)

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also used to think that if my bluff is revealed, it is because of the low level of the opponent! No and no again! bluffing at higher stakes is even more difficult! But on the other hand, it’s not always your mistake (if your bluff is sometimes not opened, then you bluff a little)!

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve experienced this myself during my sessions. I’ve overcome it mostly ... but I still have the odd hand where “I can see into their souls” (Hellmuth) but there soul mostly turns out to be a slowplayed set.

The way I dealt with it was to do regular hand history reviews. Filter hands by saw showdown > lost pot > villain postflop raise and/or large river bets. That sort of thing. Arrange in a list. And watch as many hand replays as you can. Follow each pot from start to finish and your though process through each of them. In each situation, ask yourself if they can really have anything except the nuts on the river based on their lines ... most of the time you’ll decide it should have been a clear fold.

I promise if you do this. You’ll defeat it. (Mostly) But never completely. It’s part of the game.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks so much for all the pointers guys. I really appreciate this [emoji4].

I think my problem is stemming from calling too light vs. an underbluffing population? I'm almost never facing a bluff when calling.