when you flop a small set in a 3-5 NLH

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've always had a problem of how much to bet on a semi-suited flop when you have a
low set and you called a 5-bet with at least 3 callers. Usually I bet too much and scare everyone off-my image is tight and solid.:stupido3:

Last edited:
LazerBoy

LazerBoy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When you say you called a 5-bet, do you mean you just limped in for the $5 BB?

I'm guessing that's what you meant ... it also depends if someone bets before you but again I'll just guess that it checks to you or that you are first to act ..

With three callers and you there is $20 in the pot. I probably bet $15-$20. You don't want to completely scare everyone off but you want to charge them to chase. Plus you always have outs to make a full house.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If u play cash u should every time rely on your brm.and on a distance when you play good range and read your opponents you get profit.a small set is always strong hand and nevertheless you bet a standart amount for your play.just notice how opponents react on your moves and do right conclusions without scaring.gl buddy.

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's pretty easy and it depends!!

You got 33 in a wild game as you described in the blinds it was raised to 10-30 50 then 75 and could call for the big implied odds, so you do as your up a lil. Board comes 3-7-Q all clubs. Your first to open in the lil blind so what do you do right? I recommend checking 40% of the time and over betting the pot depending on the players who are in the pot. If it's 4 or 5 hand handed with wild jackals and a good players or 2 then it's a flip depending if the board also has straight possibilities. It's entirely possible the high card on the flop like -k-q to jack are also holding and ace with that top pair which is actually what you desire when your flop a baby set as you can deduce that a big top pair hand can pay you off. The other hands might as well have flopped a baby flush or hold a-5 with the ace of clubs and will call for that runner flush,if the board was say 10-j-3 then 89 will call no matter what so will 10-j and even 8-10 with one club. This is like a possible 9 clubs on the turn,4 clubs on the river or so 4-8 straight cards than can crush you on the river making it like really about 12 outs for 5 players to kill you and a 8% chance it's set over set no worries there though. Checking is a good thing here if there is than many outs as a few of them lock up your hand to the boat giving you most likely the nuts unless say 10-j just paired his jack again less likely. This is why it's good to check the pot even though it may be big and you might have the best hand now,however it will go sour in an instant! So see whats what a check is weak you can call fill up on the turn then call,and pop it on the river for the kill. Ideally you want flops like 4-A-7 rainbow against a tight aggressive player or 2 who has you covered and flopped top pair with a-j and aq etc.. This way you don't have to deduce that any one of these guys is representing top pair with an actual 56 or 78 to see if the turn helps them. You can feel they have top pair and check or call any bet and hope they make 2 pair then fire what looks like a bad bluff later to crush. To finish this question say you followed my advice in that wild game on the q-3-10 flop or whatever and the turn came a blank 6 of diamonds,you can then increase the price to go forward,or check and see the river if it's a garbage blank you have 2 options now as the pot is big and you called all the way down. If you suspect a greater than 40% chance it's a flopped baby flush then you bet into that 800 dollar pot weakly which is a defensive bet,the baby flush will call but you wont be faced with a tough decision,2 pair will call so you win the pot,a baby flush will be afraid he's beat and just call vs shoving big. Flopped nut flush would have bet large on the turn so as you can see it's really just a dangerous hand to play on certain boards and certain players.

Last edited:
chisel

chisel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no one know that you have to do. because your describing isn't full. And even if you give us the full describing always you will have some options to play with a certain probability.

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
55s

I called an early position raiser from the lowjack with $64 in the pot. The flop is 2 clubs with no straight. It's checked to me and I bet the pot. No callers.:mad:

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing a set

when flopping a small set on a dry board, you want to check it, as you can't get value from drawing hands and the chance of being beaten on the river drops significantly. also, if you have a small set as you stated, you will get value if someone flops top pair. also,if you have top set, it's better to check it so you get value from hands like pocket pairs.

if the board is wet and want to protect your hand, especially when in position, against hands like flushes or straights; i suggest betting two thirds to full pot.(keep in mind that you can also have the possibility to improve to a full house if they make a very strong hand). If you think it has a weak pair you should do a value bet.

On turn and river you should almost always bet your set.(if you think it's still the best hand).

M

marvinas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I assume he means UTG raised and 4 players 9including him) called.

Betting the pot is too much imo. In this case UTG can be pretty strong (JJ+, AK, AQ), the rest are weaker, probably speculative hands like JTs, 78s etc. So if everyone check they either have air (high aces at best, missed flush draws) or top/middle sets, nut flush draw and are trapping. Your pot-size bet is very polarizing, you will not get any weaker hand to call, depending on the table dynamics even fkush draws might fold and you will get called only by hands that beat you. A half pot size bet might do the trick here, also keeping the pot down in case there is a third spade on the turn/river.

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I assume he means UTG raised and 4 players 9including him) called.

Betting the pot is too much imo. In this case UTG can be pretty strong (JJ+, AK, AQ), the rest are weaker, probably speculative hands like JTs, 78s etc. So if everyone check they either have air (high aces at best, missed flush draws) or top/middle sets, nut flush draw and are trapping. Your pot-size bet is very polarizing, you will not get any weaker hand to call, depending on the table dynamics even fkush draws might fold and you will get called only by hands that beat you. A half pot size bet might do the trick here, also keeping the pot down in case there is a third spade on the turn/river.

This!:hahaha: