when to stop the session

T

Taka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys. My question is WHEN to stop the session. when you got huge pot? when your on tilt?lose few buyins?
Im asking this question because I have some experience.I play cashgame and keep winning
at that time.There are some fish.But since when I lose huge pot especially with bad beats,I get into tilt and keep losing the amount which I won.Then the final result of that day is tie.lol Maybe I have mentally problem and I know it. But I should make some standard to stop the session.Kindly give your advice or experience.Thank you!

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I always stop playing if I feel that I am too emotional.
Strong emotions always have a negative impact on my game. In such cases, I take a break, sometimes even for a few days.

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you start to lose, when you feel you can't beat this table, when on tilt.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you are sleepy, when you are hungry, when you are insecure, when you are on tilt, when you do not feel like playing, anything that affects your state of play in some way that is not positive, is a cause for leaving the session

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that before you start a session you should put a limit on how much money you can lose. I usually say that if I lose half of my BI then I leave and take a break. For winnings it's different. If the table is very profitable then there's no reason to leave. If for example you double up then you can say if you lose half of that you'll leave and readjust whenever you feel necessary. Also, if you feel irritated or tilted by anything then leave before things get ugly.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like going on Tilt is your problem. Until that gets fixed I'd say pick up and leave after the first bad beat.

A

Aknight3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly this right here is my single biggest issue and leak in my poker game...i consistently will goto a table...play for a time...maybe hours and get up large amounts...maybe triple or 4x my money.... instead of just leaving the damn table and going elsewhere or stopping i keep on playing and always end up losing much or all of my profits...i hate myself for this and i dont know why i do it....but its a terrible issue in my game personally...its all about self discipline... control control control

What ive come to learn is its easy to START a smart, focused and disciplined poker session...But the real test is consistently finishing the session in the same way. Maybe its just me lol

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I generally set a limit for myself. Limit can be time or amount. There are days when I will sit at a table for 2hrs and another day for 30min. Some days I try to double my daily spending limit some days I try to quadruple it. If I lose my daily spending its a wrap for the day. Balancing act I suppose.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You need to stop and leave the table at the moment when you realized that you are not showing your best game.

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when all your money is gone is usually a good time.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I also sometimes have such awful incidents.
The best way to take a break.
Try to relax. It will be useful to you.
Patience - first of all.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a lot of people wont agree with me but i set a loss and win limit. and i usually make it reasonable. in a standard game if i have brought in say $100 ill set 175 to 250 as my upper range if i hit it i quit. i often set the loss limit at the original buy in. if i lost that im either not playing well or this is not the table for me.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every time I get a gut feeling like I should leave and haven't , I regret it. When you get that nagging feeling like it's time to go , don't question it - pack and and quit.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I stop playing if emotions prevail over the mind.
you need to cool down and study your mistakes in the session
the head should be cold for making positive decisions.
if I'm emotionally tired, I'm leaving the game

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a lot of people wont agree with me but i set a loss and win limit. and i usually make it reasonable. in a standard game if i have brought in say $100 ill set 175 to 250 as my upper range if i hit it i quit. i often set the loss limit at the original buy in. if i lost that im either not playing well or this is not the table for me.
just as a follow up i have drove 50 mins to a room and played 1 hand and left. often that was a big win but i have lost in 1 hand and left also. i try to stick to my limits and i have made a moderate living at it. no huge wins no huge losses.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys. My question is WHEN to stop the session. when you got huge pot? when your on tilt?lose few buyins?
Im asking this question because I have some experience.I play cashgame and keep winning
at that time.There are some fish.But since when I lose huge pot especially with bad beats,I get into tilt and keep losing the amount which I won.Then the final result of that day is tie.lol Maybe I have mentally problem and I know it. But I should make some standard to stop the session.Kindly give your advice or experience.Thank you!

Yes for sure if you are on tilt.

Also if you are too tired to make good decisions.

Also if there is nothing more for you to gain at the table.

Sometimes I will leave a table if things were going well and I've felted a player or two and the players turnover. In other words, if 3 new players sit at the table it has changed the character of the table.

Good luck !

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to set goals both short and long term to be able to know when to leave both above and below good luck greetings:p

Dmytro Lysyuk

Dmytro Lysyuk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I stop playing poker when I feel very tired and start making wrong decisions. This helps a lot, because if you play further, you can lose most or all of the bankroll.

B

Byron79

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are sleepy, when you are hungry, when you are insecure, when you are on tilt, when you do not feel like playing, anything that affects your state of play in some way that is not positive, is a cause for leaving the session

I think this guy says it best. But its so hard to ragonize when its time to stop playing. So many times I have been tilted and losted almost all on my bankroll. Gladly I havent got big bankrolls ever. :D

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop playing when you tired or do not play your A game.

bijan777

bijan777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 by in if i loose i stop and getup
If tomorrow happent agine in dont play for several days

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
I stay at a table for as long as I think it is profitable for me and I feeling fine...
Stop playing when you are tired, or insecure...

nenaviju poker

nenaviju poker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with everything you need to stop when you feel tired and lose concentration, then you can make gross mistakes and lose money.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Before you decide to start a gaming session, decide how long you plan to play. The longer you play, the more your brain will deceive you. Even if you think you are playing well, it may not be the case at all. Therefore, limit the number of hours per game and this will help you avoid problems with a melting bankroll.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is something that I find very difficult to do haha. Many times I have been playing a good amount of cash and tournament hands in very good shape. However I do not finish the game and when I fall into a losing streak, I end up losing everything because I can not control myself and finish my game day. regards