When do I move up?

T

theresets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Currently beating 0.2/0.5 on ignition for around 7.9bb/100 EV adjusted over 30k hands. I realize its a pretty small sample still so how many hands should I play and what BB/100 should I be winning by. Also what do you think the best games for me to play are to maximize proft? (I feel like my cash game and tournament poker abilities are about equal).

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
30k isn't that small of a sample but its not that big either, 8bb/100 is good enough that you should be able to move up, perhaps play 1/2 your tables at your current level and 1/2 at the next one. Just don't be afraid to move back down if you start losing.

psmcb

psmcb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think

Currently beating 0.2/0.5 on ignition for around 7.9bb/100 EV adjusted over 30k hands. I realize its a pretty small sample still so how many hands should I play and what BB/100 should I be winning by. Also what do you think the best games for me to play are to maximize proft? (I feel like my cash game and tournament poker abilities are about equal).

Based on the fact that poker games at cash and tournaments are very different. The Cash games brings more stable income , unlike poker tournaments. But in tournaments, you can win a lot of money.

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on the fact that poker games at cash and tournaments are very different. The Cash games brings more stable income , unlike poker tournaments. But in tournaments, you can win a lot of money.

Good point. Tourney variance is crazy. I'd stick to the tables if you think you have equal ability in both. If you do go the tourney route keep in mind that you should have at least 3x as many buyins as you would have for a cash game.