When did slow playing get so over-done?

TheChaosPath

TheChaosPath

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like the new slow playing is playing your hand as hard as you can when you get it... since everybody slow plays EVERYTHING online they'll put you on the bluff. It's just so fricking obvious nowadays, when will people realize that slow-playing only works if you mix it up.

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This coming from the guy who sounds like he's been slowplayed 1 too many times and fallen for it, lol. Just giving you a hard time pal. You are right though nowadays people slowplay way too much, but the bad thing is they telegraph it. I mean every now and then I'll have a guy check to me and I'll take a stab at the pot... and he auto reraises like 5x what I bet. I mean come on guy, what are you thinkin? I mean if you have a big hand atleast call and hope I improve or something. IMO people who slowplay don't even do it correctly anymore.

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've definitely seen it, where I start raising just as fast as I can, and it gets an insta-call from someone else, who obviously doesn't believe it. You just make the most of it, when that happens, though... since they're just going to automatically pay you off.

JimboJim

JimboJim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very annoying but you can beat it easily. The usually only slowplay one round of betting. Also pick out what players do it and just pick bigger hands to get agressive with. They'll pay you back.

M

Myar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I slow play all the way to the river unless the turn throws out a very dangerous card they could draw to. They bet on the flop and river I will only call. After the river if I act first then I smack it down hoping they will think I hit something other than what I really have. If they act first and bet, then I will sometimes just min raise back and sometimes all in. Depends on what I think they will do. If fold to huge raise then min raise, let them re-raise and after they re-raise the second time they are pretty much convince they should call whatever I throw at them. Sometimes they just call, but that just tells me I should have raised small to get them to call rather than fold to a big bet as they aren't convinced they have it if they don't re-raise.

I don't always slowplay though, if I hit the nut flush or boat on the flop, I will. Too many people fold to the threat unless they have a decent flush or hit a set in my experience not to, especially if they have nothing at the time.

If I hit on the turn or river its full speed ahead, so only talking about on the flop.

Last edited:
mbelsky

mbelsky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
slow playing skills

i like to show when i slow play and every1 folds when i evetually do bet...that way when i do that same betting sequence later with crap ...ppl may put me on a real hand and they will fold to my bluffs...hopefully

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All the slowplaying folks are really starting to annoy me these days. It's getting ridiculous how often people check to me, I make a (continuation) bet and -- raise.:aetsch:

These guys often don't have a strong enough hand to be slowplaying it but apparently they think it's the sh!t.

If you have a good read on those folks you may be able to call their raise and freeze them. It's quite amazing how many preflop-limping donks think a check-minraise will autowin the hand for them.

mrrigel

mrrigel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can still work though. I only slowplay maybe 1 out of 10 monster flops. There has to be absolutely no draw out there. If your at an aggressive table it pays. Sometimes you need somebody to catch something too in order to get a call. But like I said, ! out of !) maybe....for me anyway.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slowplaying should be pretty rare

Criteria for slowplaying according to Skansky's Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players:

1. your hand is very strong; a set certainly would qualify.
2. you will probably get everyone to fold out by betting; this is important: if there is an ace on the flop, there is probably no need to slowplay-- if tp isn't going anywhere, just build the pot.
3. the free card has good possibility to help make a second best hand
4. free card has only a small chance of outdrawing you. Also key-- slowplay on draw heavy flops at your own peril.
5. the pot is not very big-- often overlooked: if the pot is big you should be looking to take it down.

You need to have ALL of the above (not just one/a few) for the situation to dictate a slowplay.

Also, note that just because you do have all these, that doesn't mean that you should slowplay, only that it is an option! Often you will want to make your standard continuation bet if you were the preflop aggressor.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. your hand is very strong; a set certainly would qualify.
2. you will probably get everyone to fold out by betting; this is important: if there is an ace on the flop, there is probably no need to slowplay-- if tp isn't going anywhere, just build the pot.
3. the free card has good possibility to help make a second best hand
4. free card has only a small chance of outdrawing you. Also key-- slowplay on draw heavy flops at your own peril.
5. the pot is not very big-- often overlooked: if the pot is big you should be looking to take it down.

Even sets I would not slowplay very often. A set of 2 on a board with high suited cards can be deadly. On rags, it'll be easier to slowplay if you are first to act against agressive players. And the agression factor needs to be high for a slowplay to be effective, against calling station, I bet hard trying to represent a semi-weak hand trying to take it down now (TpNK, etc.).

I slowplayed Aces PREFLOP for the first time in 4 months today. The table was very tight and would fold to ANY raise unless they had a strong Ace of suited paint cards so I limped in the CO. Pot went three-way and everyone caught something, especially me for a set. With two flushed cards, I bet 2/3 and bam, raise and reraise. I pushed and caught another ace on the TURN! Woohoo!