Whats your favorite Poker Book?

C

Cobryn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read just about all of them, and I have to say Phil Gordons little Green Book is the one that put everything together for me. Yes, he goes on a little bit about his 2001 wsop final table a little too much, but the book is just great. His system of calculating outs made my life a lot easier. The power of 4 and the power of 2 is just a brilliant way to simplify the odds for us mere mortals.

J

jackhandy555

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am new to Holdem, you mentioned Phil Gordons little Green Book. Is there any others that you or members would recommend? Trying to get any help I can. Thanks in advance.

Jack

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like Phil's Little Green Book as well. He offers good insight and great thought process of the game. It is a book book beyond just strating hands and poker strategies......It is one of critical thinking that will help you grow...A great stocking stuffer and one book that should be in everyone's library.....

K

kidkagoule

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"The Secrets of Online Power Poker" by Julian Gardner is the one that got me started though it's a little dated now I will always have a soft spot for it.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Killer Poker - No Limit by Vorhaus.

C

Cobryn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington's books blew my mind when I got the first, and then the second when it came out. However from watching him on Late Night Poker along with countless other places, he doesnt seem to always follow his own advice. Theres no doubt he's a master at playing a short stack.

One of the things I really love about Gordon's book is that it isnt as overbearing as Harrington's books. Dont get me wrong all of the problems that Harrington gives you in his book are great and excellent practice for real life tourneys... but Gordon's book has all the math that you need (Sklansky gets a little crazy in my opinion - Sometimes I think he's a little wacky) and real life situations that make you understand what goes on in the mind of a proffessional poker player.

Both are absolutely essential in any poker player's library. I just feel I can relate to Gordon more than Harrington. Its a much easier read for me.

IveGot0uts

IveGot0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For no limit I love Harrington, but my favorite has got to be Winning Low-Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones. I give this book and Small Stakes Hold'em: Winning Big With Expert Play by Ed Miller, David Sklansky, and Mason Malmuth much of the credit for my live game limit success. Can't help but love a book that's made me a few grand.

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For no limit I love Harrington, but my favorite has got to be Winning Low-Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones. I give this book and Small Stakes Hold'em: Winning Big With Expert Play by Ed Miller, David Sklansky, and Mason Malmuth much of the credit for my live game limit success. Can't help but love a book that's made me a few grand.

I love reading all poker books pretty much. It's funny how it will take me forever to read anything non poker related but I zip through poker books left and right. So far my faves are Negreau's Power Holdem Strategy, Gus' Every Hand Revealed, Mike Caro's books. I have a few that I haven't read yet like read em and reap and I actually just bought 2 that i cant wait to start ...Small Stakes Holdem, and Practical Poker Math. I need to learn more about odds and probabilities so I have a feeling I'm gonna have to read that last one a few times.

G

gra605

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After playing for a couple of years, I have finally taken the plunge and bought some poker texts on line - by Doyle Brunson, Sklansky and Hellmuth. My only problem will be finding the time to read them !!! Cheers

S

Santos1950

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion the Harrington's books are the best for tournaments, but never forget the theory of poker(another great book with great explanations about the mathematical of the game). I started to read the gordon's book and until now i am really enjoying it. Anyone here already read the Professional No-Limit Holdem:Volume 1???I wanna know if its worth to buy this book...:confused:

deight

deight

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like SNG Strategy by Collin Moshman.

A

AceHand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The book I got the most out of was Championship No-Limit and Pot-Limit Hold'em, by McEvoy and Cloutier. I play my best in tourneys. Perhaps it was the style of play that fit me, but I still recommend it.

Good Luck,
Tom

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
High-Low-Split Poker by Ray Zee

Of course, I've only read 2 poker books....

D

diamondace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have read some poker books and its interesting but i dont believe in that too much for improving my game or like that. best way to do so is practice at the tables.

whiteboy

whiteboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree, nothing tops experience. the only book i've read is the theory of poker by david sklansky. many parts are very mathematical and become even unapplicable to real game situations because the calculations are too complex. but the points he proves through them are insightful.

M

Mighty Kites

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like SNG Strategy by Collin Moshman.

Seconded. This book is very simple and puts out some complex ideas like EV and other various SnG bubble play moves. Shows some very counterintuitive profitable ideas. Now, I have the harrington on Hold em series, and those are far more detailed, but for a single simple book, Moshman has done a great job. As far as most interesting goes - Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hansen was a great read into one of the best poker minds there is.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Tee hee hee.. I like the comments where poker books are not recommended and that experience is the way to go... but also notice that the one has only read one poker book? (how could you form an opinion then... in my opinion... hee hee).
I agree with alot of what has already been said above. Phil Gordon's books are great and he is also a decent writer (which helps... take in comparison Doyle's books.... ).
Harrington series is also a definite must for anyone wishing to make a go of NLHE tournaments.
I too have read dozens of poker books (and re-read some many times over). My favourite book at the moment though is 'Winning Poker Tournaments - One Hand At A Time' by Eric 'Rizen' Lynch, Jon 'apestyles' Van Fleet, & Jon 'PearlJammer' Turner. In it's 400+ pages it goes over 194 problem hands (more difficult situations,.. difficult hands to play in certain circumstances). I would for sure read all of Harrington's books first though (and Gordon's as well wouldn't hurt any) and of course play a bunch (but that goes without question, right?..lol). The book is broken down into 4 parts, 1 part for each player to comment on a bunch of different hands, taking you through their thought processes, etc., then at the end there are a bunch of hands posted that were played by Mathew Hilger with comments from each of the other 3 players/authors on how they would've played out those hands (without any of them having prior knowledge of what the other player has written about the particular hand). The last hands chosen by Hilger specifically due to them having been 'problem hands' for him that he had played out in the past.
It's a great book but definitely geared to more advanced play. In it they describe playing in a bunch of the online tournaments that many of you are very familiar with and then gear their play towards the playing field in them. Alot of the stuff in the book would need to be toned down some for cheaper buyins ($100 & under) but is great stuff and can really help one to expand on one's thinking about the game.

GL!!

CursedSoul

CursedSoul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Daniel Negreanu's books ^_^
1: Power Hold'em Strategy
2: Hold'em Wisdom for all players

B

big jingles

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started with Hellmuths Play poker like a pro
then The little green book, then The book of bluffs by Matt Lessinger.
All these books were very helpful to shape my game and thinking at the table especially the last one it explained betting patterns and basic bluffing. But the best book was Winning low limit Holdem by Lee Jones.
I wore that book out. When I lose to much I get the book back out and it really helps me focus.

K

kknutt17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fould Mike Cappelletti and Mike Caro's Mastering Hold'em & Omaha to be extremely helpful in ring game and home games. I'm looking for a good tournament book with some detailed information on how to do better. I have heard that David Sklansky has many books with an unimaginable amount of information for the enthusiast.

FlowJoe

FlowJoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in the middle of the Harrington books. They are well written and for some reason, keep ,me interested. Some books for some reason dont hold my attention. Hand analysis made interesting...HHHHmmmmm. The Helmuth PB fails at this for me, but oddly made sense.
Peace,
FLOW

A

annie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that each book helps me differently. Some were really hard reading...but worth it in the end. Slansky, Harrington, Brunson, Navarro, the list is long. I like reading bluff and Card Player magazines also.

O

ognib6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you cant find the time to read them, pop in a good poker DVD i love them.

R

rhulp1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a nice online book for beginners from august o'meara. It's called:
online no-limit texas hold'em. Its easy to read and it discusses in short the super system van Doyle Brunson. Its not the best book but for beginners its a good start!