whats your bankroll preferences?

B

bluffmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Using correct bankroll management when do you personally move up?

Definition of what your bankroll is: it’s money you can afford to lose.

The next step in bankroll management is letting your bankroll dictate what limit you’ll be playing.

From here every single poker tip on bankroll management has completely varied, usually over preference.

So I thought why not make a post asking what your preferences are?

Heres a few example sizes:

300 big bets (BB) at your regular level of play: standard
Or
Depending on your bankroll you only play with 10% of it on any one limit/time,
E.g. you have $10 you only play with $1 which dictates you play $0.01/$0.02 giving you 50BB.

What are you standard sizes for each limit, and thus what are your objectives for moving up limits?

Last edited:
P

petey88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I got my bankroll management from chris ferguson, and here it is:

1. I wont buy into a cash game or sit & go with more than 5% of my total bankroll, although i can buy into any game of $2.50 or less.

2. I wont buy into a MTT for more than 2% of my total bankroll, although i can buy into any MTT of $1.

I also made up a rule that when i sit down to play online im only allowed to play 3 games then i must take a break for a few hours then if i want to return to play i can. This is good for me because if i go on tilt and losing i will only lose at least 3 games then the break should cool me off. Also if im not playing too well that time i give myself time to recollect my thoughts about how im playing.

I made up this rule when i sat playing constantly one day and blew my entire bankroll.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am risk adverse. I want to have 100 x the (full) buy in for the tournament/ring game level I am playing.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For NL ring games I like to have 20 buy-ins

For S&Gs I like to have 30 buy-ins

For MTTs (which i rarely play) I want to have 40-50 buyins

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chris fergusons bankroll management all the way, that is if you actually have a bankroll....damn full tilt freerolls so hard to cash...maybe i will make a deposit next weekend

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My BR maganement plan is similar to Ferguson's plan. I have a new approach to building my BR. Before, it was "Im going try and build it but if I lose it, its ok because I can afford it." Now, Im trying to really disipline myself into following strict BR management and not taking too many unessary risk with my BR.

1. < 5% of BR for SNGs with 20x buy-in + rake, < 2% of BR for MTTs/MTSNGs with 100x buy-in + rake.​

For SNGs, it has to be equal to or less than 5% of my current bankroll. I wont play a game even if its .01 cent over. This is to keep me disiplined in managing my BR. As for MTTs and MTSNGs, since cashing in these games, for me, dont happen quite that often, I want to have even more buy ins to keep my stack padded. For now, Im only playing in freerolls and $1 tournaments. SNGs will be the main source of building my BR and I will not be playing any cash games for now.​

2. Buy in for games following an ITM win should be < half of the BR percentage increase.​

This is to keep wins vs losses in check. And if I do suffer a downswing, it wont be as bad. Say I take 3rd place in an SNG that cost me 3% of my BR. My 3rd place finish increases my BR by 5%. My next game will not cost me more than 2.5% of my new current BR. However, if I continue to increase my BR, then the following game will be equal to or less than 50% of the total BR percentage increase.​

3. If there is any increase in BR, losses should be < half of total BR percentage increase for that day.​

This applies to the above. If I increase in my BR and i lose 50% of my bankroll profit for that day, then I am finished. This is try to keep my profits in the positive and my downswings at a minimum.​

Other things that I apply, but arent mentioned in my sig:​

4. I play 1 table at a time.​

5. If I lose 10% of my BR without any ITM finishes, I call it quits for the day. However, if Im increasing my BR with ITM finishes then I will call it quits when Im tired of playing.​

6. I take it one day at a time. If I increased my BR by 60% yesterday, I wont play a game that'll potentially cost my 50% of the 60% increase in BR the following day. I will follow the same BR management guide lines for each individual day.​

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well, i don't think that's true. I cant afford to lose my BR at all, in fact it would be a huge loss. But, i can afford to lose small amounts of it.

I don't really think about BR management that much. Some people feel comfortable with having 10 buy-ins for the level they play at, most people say 20 buy-ins is the right amount. For me its 15 and if it drops down to 10 i move down in stakes, and if i reach 15 buy-ins for the next level, i will then move up in stakes. With tourneys i only buyin for 1% or 2% or my BR and for SnG's i play with 5% of my BR in each game. :)

B

bluffmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, i don't think that's true. I cant afford to lose my BR at all, in fact it would be a huge loss. But, i can afford to lose small amounts of it.

those small amounts are what im talking about :)

heatfan03

heatfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
New Me : at least 30 times BR for SitnGo's

Not playing Cash games till i can support 25max where there isnt AS many donks (i know there is still some) I will wait until my br is at 35 times the buy in .

Tourneys is same as Sitngo's

K

Kubikas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
New Me : at least 30 times BR for SitnGo's

Tourneys is same as Sitngo's

So it's like... you have 300$ br for 10$ MTT ? Finishing ITM is pretty good challange most of the time then ;) 50x is much much more better way i guess;-)

By the way, what applies to "rebuys" tourneys?

B

bluffmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By the way, what applies to "rebuys" tourneys?

very good shout!! i guess you would have to apply the length of time the rebuy period is open, and from there i guess its just a matter of calling it quits after a certain amount of rebuys/money!" so maybe set aside an extra 30BB to your BR for each individual tourney ontop of the normal BRM

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If you can't afford to lose it all, then what do you do if you lose, say, half of it? Quit and withdraw the remainder? If so, your REAL bankroll is half of what you have deposited and you should play accordingly.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am risk adverse. I want to have 100 x the (full) buy in for the tournament/ring game level I am playing.

100x!? seriously? you nit :p if i went by those rules i'd need a $20,000 bankroll to be playing 1/2 right now. but what's going to get me to a $20,000 bankroll is playing 1/2 in the first place. if you're a winning player who won't tilt off your roll, i think any more than 50 is pretty unnecessary. normally i'd just say diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, but i think that kind of risk aversion may very well cost you expectation in $$$

E

evny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100x is EXTREME overkill for a winning nlhe player... even if this was your living... 30x bi is quite conservative considering you can always drop down a lvl if you hit say... 20x bi (40x bi at the lower lvl)

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel like such a donk when I read all this stuff , I want to do all that too but I never have big enough BR . I play the $10 nlhe ring games , $25 Omaha ring games , 4 or $8 sngs (beginner ), $10 or under mtts. those are the smallest ring games at bodog . my BR is $150 right now and when it gets higher I cash some out , thinking I need to get something out of all the work I do.

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Right there with you aliengenius! I'm playing mixed 10NL and 25NL with a BR of 2000+ :D. Better safe than broke! Also I want to be a consistent winner on 25NL before I leave 10NL behind.

W

Wayne Vinson

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Problem is, that's not the definition of a bankroll.
The next step in bankroll management is letting your bankroll dictate what limit you’ll be playing.

From here every single poker tip on bankroll management has completely varied, usually over preference.

So I thought why not make a post asking what your preferences are?

Heres a few example sizes:

300 big bets (BB) at your regular level of play: standard
Or
Depending on your bankroll you only play with 10% of it on any one limit/time,
E.g. you have $10 you only play with $1 which dictates you play $0.01/$0.02 giving you 50BB.

What are you standard sizes for each limit, and thus what are your objectives for moving up limits?

I usually try to put about 5% of my bankroll in play at any given time. However, available limits and game quality are overriding concerns. If a game looks really good, up to 15% is OK. That's especially true in a low-variance form like NL holdem. I'd be far more cautious at limit triple draw.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow - NLHE is a low variance game? :eek:

B

bluffmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problem is, that's not the definition of a bankroll.

It is according to the website i ripped it off, forgot the website, first google i found on bankroll management

but i generally agree to it, your bankroll might be alot of money, but if you lose it you should still be able to afford the rent/car/food etc.

in broad terms it is what you can afford to lose..

you can then split that "affordable loss" into %usage per game.. etc

HartAttack3

HartAttack3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not playing Cash games till i can support 25max where there isnt AS many donks (i know there is still some) I will wait until my br is at 35 times the buy in .

prepare for a huge surprise, 25max can be one of the most donkish games out there, is donkish a word? lol

X

xd40

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
at nNL i have been using like 15bis take a shot..

the games are so bad u dont need huge br..

i have 1.2k at 50nl, and took a shot at 50nl with 3bi 's at 550usd. not quite 15bis but i just though i had a huge edge anyway.. did alright.
i will take a shot at 100nl with 1.7k or something like that again 3bis..

from here.. i will use 30bis take a shot .. 20bis move down 200nl and up cos the games will be thougher obv

anyway,

the requirements aren't just the amount of bi's u need to have:
-there's the winrate
-if u are comfortable with your play or feel like u spew a lot
-the next limits just feels too high and u would probably be playing with scared money;
- not enough hands .. and good results might be just running hot and over expectation.

a lot of factors other than just br req r needed before moving up

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Not many people answered this specifically, and moving DOWN was in nobody's plan. Here is my STT plan:
Move up when you have 50x the next level.
Move down when you are down to 50x the lower level.

For example, say I have ~$250. I will be playing $5 STTs, since that is enough to have moved up from $2. When I get to $500, I will move up to $10 STTs (50x10). If I lose down to $100, I will move down to $2 STTs (50x2).

I started keeping closer records just a few days ago. Since I am keeping records, I quit destracting side activities and concentrated on the tournaments. So far, I have a 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, and 1st out of the four I have played. This gives me an average net win of $8/STT. I can play two a day easily and still do my regular things, like work, eat, etc. At $16/day, I will be up to $10 STTs in 16 days and then start winning $32/day. Likewise, to $20 in 16 more days, to $50 in 20 days, and to $100 in 16 days. So, in a little over two months I will be making $320/day or $9600/month. Then I can cut back from the breakneck pace of ~2 hours a day EVERY day and play only 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year (most of regular "work" week time free to do whatever, 4 weeks off a year in the tropics) and still pull in $77k a year. Piece of cake. Why isn't everybody relaxing in the sun more? :D :D :D

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually take a conservative approach to BR management as I certainly cannot afford to go broke.

For SnG's - I like to have approx 50 x Buy ins for that particular level. Once I approach 50 x the next level I will move up. In the mean time I will take shots at the next level to ease myself into it.

For Cash games, I play 6-max NL, I like to have at least 30+ buy ins. Again when I get somewhere near the BR to handle the next level I will take shots at it before moving up.

As has been said previously if my BR goes down then I adjust accordingly and drop down a level, which I have had to do in the past. I also multi table a lot so I don't like to have more than 10% of my BR in play at a time, usually a lot less.

Realistic goals for me are to achieve a BR that can sustain me playing $200 NL cash, and $109 SnG's.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management