What are your average buy in fluctuations?

J

JR1987

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
People often talk about downswings/upswings, running bad etc. but I think to new players (like me) the actual definition of a downswing can be misinterpreted.. for example someone new to the game may think a downswing is losing 2 buy ins one after the other.. where in fact experienced pros can go on downswings for months/years etc etc.

I have thought in the past that I'm running bad when perhaps it really is just the natural fluctuations of the game I'm experiencing.

So what are you guys finding your natural buy-in fluctuations are when things are going "normally"? As in per session/day.

I find on a losing day I can finish down 1 or 2 buy ins session.. Rarely finish the day up more then 1 and a half buy ins.. But my bank roll chart is very slowly rising consistently.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have thought in the past that I'm running bad when perhaps it really is just the natural fluctuations of the game I'm experiencing.

So what are you guys finding your natural buy-in fluctuations are when things are going "normally"? As in per session/day.

Allways consider your samplesize and skill when analyzing swings.
I've had 20bi Swings over 10k hands, but that is not the norm. The better you are, the less downswings you will experience.

Also think about your performance objectively. How good did you play? Were you playing your A-game or just autopiloting your C-game, or worse you ended up on tilt playing D-game. The amount of hands you play not performing best will highly alter your winrate, as your avarege edge over your opponents drops.

Check out this website to get a feel on how variance works: https://www.primedope.com/poker-variance-calculator/
Make sure to read the instructions below, so you don't mess up the results.