What would you do in these spots?

T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's 5-5 live game, the game is somewhat aggressive; the main question is that would anyone fold drawing hands being the preflop raiser? I am thinking of checking these flops but I feel it would be wrong because I would rather take the pot now with drawing hands.

Spot 1:
Hero (550) open 25 with Ad Qd
BTN (400) call 25

Flop (60): 10d 9s 5d
Hero bet 40, BTN call 40
Turn (140): 3s
Hero bet 120, BTN jam all in
What would you do differently with Ad Qd?

Spot 2:
Hero (350) open 25 with 9h 8h
SB (900) call 25

Flop (55): 6d 6h 7c
SB check, Hero bet 45, SB raise 145, Hero raise all in
What would you do differently with 9h 8h?

Spot 3:
UTG 1 (700) raise 15 very small compare to a normal raise
Hero in BB (320) re raise 75 with Ah Jh, UTG 1 call
Flop (160): 10h 6s 7h
Hero bet 70, UTG 1 raise 170, Hero all in
What would you do differently with Ah Jh?

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
spot 1: direct call in preflop represents a speculative hand or if villian is a fish (no hud stats) it can be a monster hand.
53 and t9 are in his range. we don't know his bluff/shoove frequency. he can bluff with any pair of diamonds or clubs.

but in turn from out of position, when 3 comes, i think betting was wrong. there are many better bluff spots in this game. you are already had advantage with aq in river. i think you should check the turn. if river is a,k,q you should bet against wide range opponent.

spot 2:
with that dry board, i think c-betting is wrong. villain probably have a medium pocket pair who convince you had nothing.

spot 3:
again, the villian may have a pocket pair. your c-bet size was too low. board does not have any a,k,q,j. so he convince, your range is not on that board. i would fold. but you already have a board advantage on that board, i think c-betting was pretty wrong.

Yoda82

Yoda82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Spot 1: You didn’t leave yourself any foldability. What are you trying to rep on that board with 80%+ pot-sized bets? You’re telling the V that you have jack and he exploits that weakness. You don’t have a hand you are defending with. Way too aggressive of a line. Bet flop, pot control the turn.

Spot 2: Again, you are barreling a large % of pot with air against aggressive and seemingly loose opponents. They already saw you fold to this line at least once, maybe more times that we don’t know about. You need to vary your play here, because you are throwing in large bets as bluffs/draws - a common misnomer, you don’t have to bet big to bluff someone off of a pot - and the table likely has that read on you too.

Spot 3: Why are you 5x raising a non-premium hand out of position here? Why are you trying to put 25% of your stack at risk to get a 4.6% return? The flop isn’t great for you, but your opening bet-sizing is at least more reasonable for the situation, but you aren’t considering actions by the V. A bet of 70 only leaves you with 175 behind, which tells anyone with a decently strong hand that you are pot committed.

Overall, work on your bet sizing, especially with non-made hands on an aggressive table. When you make your hands, let people hang themselves. These situations would be much different if you had already made hands.

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally speaking, in aggro games like these, tighten up, and look for spots to get it in good. You are trying to exploit fold equity with drawing hands in a game where people aren't going to fold the flop. In these hands, you are creating the aggression and bloating pots in an already aggressive game.

Spot 1: I don't love that flop because it hits a lot of villains connected hands, but I would c-bet it too with a lot of outs. I would check call the turn for pot control though. We don't need to get it in on a drawing hand here and without position, that's what betting exposes you to.

Spot 2: I would check back the flop. In an aggressive game, when you make your straight, you can usually still build a pot, or they will build it for you. When villain check raises you, I would let the hand go. I'm definitely not repopping, especially on a paired board where you could already be drawing dead.

Spot 3: Against an aggressive player, a smaller than normal open usually means strength (provided your talking about his normal open and not the table's). I read it as QQ+. Just flat and close the action with your suited ace. 5X 3 bet with AJs is too much imo.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Spot 1. The flop doesn't hit either one of you 15 outs to improve and an ace. I c-bet every time. The 3 doesn't complete anything and it is unlikely Villain has a 3. I c-bet the turn too with the same 15 outs. When Villain jams Hero needs to call $215 to win $585 15 outs leave Pretty close to a toss up.

Spot 2. I'd check the Flop and take the free card. The draw is not as good as in Hand 1, less equity, and Hero has position. If and ace or a king comes on the turn Hero can believably bluff. As played Hero has $290 behind with the raise of $145 if Hero calls he is left with only $145 behind, too small to not call practically any turn having 9 outs. That said I would fold.

Spot 3 I like the re-raise pre and the c-bet on the flop When raised on the flop I like the push. 9 outs to the nut flush plus 3 aces and maybe one Jack vall it 13 outs, making Hero over 50% towin.