What would you call `value betting` ???

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ron,

1) Stop bypassing the censor and making me have to edit your posts.

2) FP is right, as he generally is.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dorkus said it in one post, which you reacted strongly to, and he then retracted it and used "assumption" instead.

So this is what you call a retraction
very well, if you want to nit it up, your assumption is incorrect.
It would have been a lot easier to say "Sorry, your assumption is incorrect" rather than put in the clever comment "if you want to nit it up"

How would this sound as an appology "Ok, if I must say sorry. Not everyone on this site who has responded to this post is a dickhead?"

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Value Bet: any bet you make that you hope will be called by a worse hand.

For example: you have A♣K♠ and the board is A3♦7♣ and you bet hoping to get called by a hand such as A10♣

1. it's not the nuts, and yet you are still hoping to get called by a worse hand.

2. if you get raised on a dry board such as the above by a very tight post flop player you might re-evaluate if you are best or behind a hand like a set. THIS DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT YOUR INITIAL BET WAS FOR VALUE.

3. being ahead of your opponents range is enough to bet for value. Often you will here terms like "making a thin value bet"-- meaning that you have only a slight advantage in equity.

4. you don't need to "know" that you are ahead: as pointed out having a term ("value bet") for "betting with the nuts" isn't very useful.

I

ionscorp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Value betting in my book is when you know you have the winning hand (hopefully the nuts) and betting slightly less to throw the opponent off into reading you, and hoping they call thinking you are just trying to steal the pot.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Value Bet: any bet you make that you hope will be called by a worse hand.

For example: you have A♣K♠ and the board is A3♦7♣ and you bet hoping to get called by a hand such as A10♣

1. it's not the nuts, and yet you are still hoping to get called by a worse hand.

2. if you get raised on a dry board such as the above by a very tight post flop player you might re-evaluate if you are best or behind a hand like a set. THIS DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT YOUR INITIAL BET WAS FOR VALUE.

3. being ahead of your opponents range is enough to bet for value. Often you will here terms like "making a thin value bet"-- meaning that you have only a slight advantage in equity.

4. you don't need to "know" that you are ahead: as pointed out having a term ("value bet") for "betting with the nuts" isn't very useful.

Thanks for the clarification.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars