What Stakes should i play at?

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At what stakes do you mostly play? I started playing at 0,25/0,5 but then switched to 0,1/0,2 as it seemed to me that i was a little bit berserk at the higher stakes. What are optimal stakes for a starting cashgame player?

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play the highest games you can beat long term.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stay at 1c/2c until you can beat it then move up accordingly.

Whyel9809

Whyel9809

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends how you do at each stake, also the size of bankroll, and cash availability. Play with about 25-50 buyins and you should be safe, at least in my experience!! Good luck!

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are begginer I suggest smallest anyway is not smart play big stake online you can easie lose a money no matter if you know to play.....

M

max chong

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play 0.2 / 0.5 for me it is the best option! Other limits are far too expensive for me

C

coachlary69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a beginning player and with the state of the game as it is today I would start with at least 60 buy-ins at the lowest level and work my way up from there and occasionally take a shot at the next level. There are some excellent sites out there that can give you great advice on bankroll management. As your game improves and you are able to consistently beat the stake you are at then I would move up and try to stay bankrolled between 30 and 50 buy-ins at the cash game level. If your bankroll drops below 30 then I would move down a level.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should consider you BR, your experience, and your skill to make things happen at the tables. I believe experience and skill are two different things. As far as the level you play at is the one that will protect your BR the best. For example, if you have $100 to start with, you could play at 10nl, but even with that amount I would start at 5nl first to see how you do, but if your BR is lower, I would play at 2nl for awhile. For me, I had $50 and started at 2nl and I worked my way up. It took a lot of time, but I made it to my level at 10nl with a lot of patience. Like at 2nl, if I won $2 or $3 a day, I felt that was pretty good. This is something I done and it may seem stupid, but I made myself look at the pennies like I would if they were dollars. So that way I could ask myself if they were dollars, would I call, raise, or move all in if they were dollars, and it worked and helped me keep my BR, which I still have to this day. During the time I was learning and slowly moving up, I was asking a million questions a day and getting 5 million replies with the advice I needed badly, and I used all that advice without question. That has been going on for 3 or 4 years. So you can see it takes time, but if you get into learning to improve your game from the members here, it will become very important for you to come on here everyday and find at least one thing that will help you. GL to you

Last edited:
mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At what stakes do you mostly play? I started playing at 0,25/0,5 but then switched to 0,1/0,2 as it seemed to me that i was a little bit berserk at the higher stakes. What are optimal stakes for a starting cashgame player?

It depends on you bankroll,stakes depend on your money(bankroll).

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stick with 1/2c until you can beat them regularly and you have the proper bankroll to move up.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
with a stack of 10 percent of the bankroll

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're a starting cash game player, start at the $2 buy in games. Poker is a game where starting at the bottom is a very good idea.

You'll make some bad mistakes, but they'll only cost you $2 and you won't walk around looking for something to bash your head against.

alipalip

alipalip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends how big is your bankroll, and how good you are :) For a comfortable bankroll management i advice that you count with 30-35 Buy In for a limit (2/5c=150-175$, 5/10c =300-350$) Better to start from the bottom and if you can beat the limit on 10k hand you can move up one level.
Good luck at tables!

sCATpoker

sCATpoker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recommend to buy in for no more than 5% of total bankroll for cash games and 2% max buy in on tourneys. If you are just playing for fun than just buy in with whatever you are comfortable losing in case of worst possible scenario. It is good advice, I just wish I could listen to it myself.

SBEP

SBEP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i would agree with sCat 5% for cash and 2% for MTT`s, aldou i would also play 2%cash, that way u can cut down the swings u will have at the poker tables, and untill u get really comfy at a certain lvl, then and only then u can move up a lvl.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. depends on your BR - you need ~20-40 buyins for that limit
2. play were you feel comfortable and slowly go up the limits

N

nightmare133

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Stay at 1c/2c until you can beat it then move up accordingly.

This great advice. @OP don't know how long you have been playing poker but I think great bankroll management and realizing your skills is the best way of deciding if U should move up or not.

A

Adict

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone get impatient at the smaller stakes because of how hard it is to build your bankroll at .01/.02 ?

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What are optimal stakes for a starting cashgame player?

As low as you can go. If you're a rank beginner, you're not playing to win, but to gain experience in getting a line on your opponents' play, develop a feel for flop "texture", to gain a sense of comfort sitting in. If you do come out ahead, that's a cherry on top.

Once you demonstrate you can win consistently, then consider moving up.

While learning, keep your lessons as inexpensive as possible.

Doubledunk

Doubledunk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on how much bankroll you have and what stakes you can beat.
After fixing most of your visible cash game leaks, you can then try moving up to a higher stakes.

F

fishyfishh

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are planning on seriously playing, and know what you're doing also, then I would play with 10% of your Bank Roll. So if you deposit $250, play no more than a $25 buy in cash game. As your BR increases, you can slowly move up to larger stakes, but if you start losing seriously then just move back down and stay where you're comfortable. Also move down if you're ever losing TOO much using the 10% strategy. Remember, the amount of money in front of you can unfortunately have bad effects on how you play. With MTTs, you shouldnt play more than a 2% or 3% of your BR buy in. Goodluck

A

Ajax95777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the game start at 0.02-0.05, because at 0.01-0.02 players play realy slow. I had many game in which i was playing for hours and i am still where i was in the beginning.
You should play a certain stakes and when you see that you are beginnnig to be better that most of the people in this stakes you should go and try the higher ones.

R

Reelmookey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if your asking you should proboly that in penny games

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It mainly depends on your bankroll. I wouldn't buy into cash game with more the 5-10% of my total money. Also try to find a good bonus on your first deposit it helps a lot.