What hands do you defend from SB or BB against an UTG raise?

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suppose you're playing 6-max zoom at 2NL or 5NL. You're in the SB or BB and UTG raises to 3x preflop and it folds to you.

What hands would you defend here?
I always find myself in spots like these with a hand like AJo and I never know whether I should be making a nitty fold, calling oop or light 3betting.

How do you deal with gross spots like this? What hands do you defend from the SB or BB against an UTG raise?

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on villain but AQ+ 88+ and folding all speculative hands vs a reg.

vs a nit I might just 3 bet or fold AK, QQ+.

vs a fish AQ+ any PP and premium suited connectors like 109s, J10s, etc.

I'm honestly folding AJo vs UTG raise on the button but calling with suited variant. I started in full ring though so I am honestly not sure if this is too nitty or not but folding can't be too bad.(vs regs and nits, I'll see a flop against a fish)

bitowl

bitowl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KQ+, TT+

If they go broke with overpairs then any pocket pair.

If they can fold overpairs to substantial pressure, suited connectors from time to time. But only with the plan that I'm check raising a big chunk of flops and putting my stack in to make the other guy fold. If you just flat 98s and play fit or fold you're bleeding $.

+1 on folding AJ vs UTG as a standard. You'll be stuck oop with a bluff catcher if you're lucky enough to make a hand.

vs loose passive fish you can play really wide since their range probably has stuff like Q2s.

JonnyW87

JonnyW87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As IPlay said it is all villain dependant.

I tend to defend a lot less in the sb as you are giving the bb the chance to squeeze especially if it is against a LP raise and a call.

Generally if I am in the bb facing a LP steal and sb call I will be squeezing with a lot of hands here most of the time - KJ+, AT+, A2-A5s, 99+.

I don't mind flatting with small-medium pp and also hands like JTs, QTs, KTs, KJs, A9s just so I am not only flatting with pp.

Against an UTG open you want to check your PT or HEM and see how wide villain is opening and just work out what hands play well against his range. It also depends if you have cold callers before you also. I hate playing multi way pots OOP.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
replay

well,when I am big blind,someone raised before I will pay small raised with cards type 98,76,in color ....

T

Tomasz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
88-22, A9s-A2s, KTs-K6s, Q6s+, J6s+, T6s+, 96s+, 86s+, 75s+, 65s, 54s, ATo-A5o, KJo-KTo, QTo+, JTo just call vs open raise

3-bet range 99+,ATs+,KJs+,AJo+,KQo if you can play postflop , if you not TT+,AKo+,AQs+

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
88-22, A9s-A2s, KTs-K6s, Q6s+, J6s+, T6s+, 96s+, 86s+, 75s+, 65s, 54s, ATo-A5o, KJo-KTo, QTo+, JTo just call vs open raise

3-bet range 99+,ATs+,KJs+,AJo+,KQo if you can play postflop , if you not TT+,AKo+,AQs+

This seems way too loose to me... there's no way I would flat-call J6s oop vs an UTG raise by your typical 2NL nit-fish.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, that too loose of a range against a button open let alone UTG open.

That is basically what my button open range is.

M

maxpayne1994

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmm, when i am big : i play with (A,K,Q,J,10)+(9+) ss

M

maxpayne1994

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
or (A,K,Q,J,10) + (A,K,Q,J,10) of

P

Poker247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally agree it depends on the villain. I'm typically fairly tight if they are a reg or unknown. I'll play 2nd tier hands if I know they are loose gambling types. In general I only 3-bet with AK, pocket Js +. Can be a gross spot though, so best to get as much info as you can on your opponent.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the villain is a constant raiser and very loose,i suggest 3bet shove with 44 +.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This seems way too loose to me... there's no way I would flat-call J6s oop vs an UTG raise by your typical 2NL nit-fish.

Its what i do when i LAG it up...

Exploit the sticky nits/tight players who cant let go... but its extremely important we can fold when we open our range.

I love changing gears because the opponents at 2 and 5NL adjust so poorly

Vadim Kudimov

Vadim Kudimov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No) do not play in zoom is advice. In general, of course it is necessary to fold the AJ. If you still play, it is only with top pair. I have little experience in such games, just because there simply is not available information about the opponent, and all that is not possible to calculate the 50% success rate.

messer21

messer21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I defend Hands like A10-AK or A9s-Aks and pairs like 99 to AA

alipalip

alipalip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually AJ+ 55+ and depends on villain:
vs a reg AJs,AQ+ TT+
vs a nit AK, QQ+.
vs a fish ATs+ KQ, QJs, JTs any PP

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ AK AJ maybe A10 and KQ and high pairs and mid pairs like 10 10 9 9 8 8 7 7

R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well you have to look at his stats and starting chipstack. Against a reg with 50BB or less (even though you wont find many regs without full stacks) i would tighten my 3bet range to JJ+ and AK, cause after flop it will hard to fold given that SPR is going to be fairly small.
Against a reg with a full stack i would 3bet TT+, AQ, AK and sometimes AJs if he has a high fold to 3bet stat. I will allways call with small and midle PP becouse you have good imlied odds if you hit.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im defending most pocket pairs or at least calling to see a flop.
I also favour high suited connecters, from 10/J up in this position.

But yeah. It depends on who your playing. I dislike A/off anything these days. Might call A/K off though.

T

Terrell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the table for sure, I could call with anything depending on the player

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands