What do you think is the best way to move up in Limits?

C

Cstarker27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a regular $5-10 NLHE player and I have a friend that has now been playing poker for about 1year at & $1-2 NL and he thinks that he is ready to move up in stakes and start playing $2-5 regularly.... which he is not and I’d hate for him to lose his whole bank roll. ($10k)
He has a job so it’s not like this is a full-time thing for him, and if he were to lose his roll, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. So I have challenged him to do the following: I told him every time he makes $1,200 at $1-2 NL he can now do one max buy-in ($1k) at $2-5. If he wins at that session he can continue to play $2-5 until he either has his first losing session or he runs the $1k up to $3k. If he loses he must move back down to $1-2 and start all over and make another $1,200 before he moves up. I told him $1,200 so Incase he loses the entire $1k and has to move back down in stakes he is still ahead of where he started.
If he makes $3k, then take $2k and buy-in to $5-10. If he loses there, then he must start all over at the $1-2 games again... but more than what he started with.
He’s not good enough to ever get to the $5-10 level and play it regularly, but at least it gives him something to shoot for and it will help expose him to different limits and play that goes along with it.
Any thoughts on if this is good advice? Not sure what is the best way to come up?

L

LuckyRamen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think exposure to a limit you're not use to us a good idea. It can be a reality check for some and confirmation of your abilities for others.

Not knowing your limits(even if a friend does) is a mind game you play with yourself. If the opportunity is there I would suggest taking it. The reality of the situation will sink in. Good or bad.

BRM is an important factor. Not just what you set but how well you follow it.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The biggest problem for players is usually not the ability to follow the chosen BRM. Success in poker (and online poker) is achieved only by those who persistently follow the chosen strategy.