What to do when a raise means nothing

P

phoenix999

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Have only been playing a while and am trying to play to be a tight but agressive player when I have the cards.
What I am finding lately playing the SnGs (and Ring but to a lesser extent) that a raise means nothing to most players.

I have been re raised when I have bet a reasonable raise of 3-5X BB with AA KK etc with anything at all.
And most times they hit and kill you, for example I raised 6BB with AA and a player re-raises so I re-raise them to get called with 47 off and they hit a strt on the flop.

It has got to the point that am on the verge of giving up playing as the agravation is not worth the pleasure of playing.

My question is how do you combat this as it seems they hit every time and my BR is getting hammered. Maybe I am just not a good enough player, I don't know

tiltboy

tiltboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What stakes are you playing for?

I'm surprised your getting reraised by 4-7os. To be honest would you not prefer to have players call with these cards? I'd rather that than players who can constantly outplay me, over time these beats get easier.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm, especially in ring, I'm happy to be reraised preflop with AA/KK. A reraise is what I'm hoping for, so I can get all my money in while I'm ahead.

But it does sound like the low end of micro limits stake level, which is hard to predict.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And most times they hit and kill you, for example I raised 6BB with AA and a player re-raises so I re-raise them to get called with 47 off and they hit a strt on the flop.

No, they don't hit most times. He may have hit that one time. But not most times. The vast majority of the times, AA will beat 74o.

I promise.

A

AcesorKings

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just be more careful with your good hands. AA are the nuts preflop, but they are no license to print money once the flop is there. Unless you hit a set, after all, you have only one pair.

So you shouldn´t be crazy about "protecting your hand" and not letting your opponents take free cards. In no limit, giving free cards is much less of a problem than in fixed limit. Yet most people are obsessed with not letting that third heart come on the turn.

I´m not saying you should slowplay your big pairs. Just be more careful with them. Practice laying them down once in a while. Protect your stack and keep control of the pot size when you believe you might be up against some freaky longshot of a hand. Learn the arts of block-betting and checking behind.

Don´t freak out when you get outdrawn, try to learn something from the hand. Analyze it when you have calmed down. Did you play it well? If yes, good. Sometimes they outdraw you and there is nothing you can do about it, that´s a reality of poker you´ll have to accept. If no, think about how you can play it better next time.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm, especially in ring, I'm happy to be reraised preflop with AA/KK. A reraise is what I'm hoping for, so I can get all my money in while I'm ahead.

But it does sound like the low end of micro limits stake level, which is hard to predict.
^^^this^^^

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In SNG's you're going to get reraised early in the tourney because stack size vastly outweighs the blinds. A reraise is perfect for you when you have AA or KK, you get to protect your hand. If you get reraised, reraise back for 1/2 of their remaining stack. The junk hands should go away and speculative hands might look you up. Either way you're going to come out ahead in the long run.

tnt72

tnt72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I felt the same way when I first started. But as time past and thousands of hands played,AA-KK is going to win majority of the time. You'll have your suck outs bad beats but thats a part of poker. Hang in there bro. And remember you can't win a SnG in the first 5 mins but you can definitely lose one.:D

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't judge your results on the outcome, judge your results on whether you made the right decisions in hands. In the long run, your bankroll will reflect the choices of right decisions being made and not bad beats like this one.

Remember, this is still cards, nothing is guaranteed, just be happy with the fact you got all your money in with the dominating hand. That may not be what you want to hear, but its what you need to know