What was the correct play, should you fold AKs top pair? (hand analysis)

L

laimisj

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I played a hand I can't figure out if I played it correctly. Basically I had AKs 3bet preflop and got called by 2 other players. Flop did not have 3bet call range cards so I figured I my hand was still ahead of other players so I bet half pot and I got called. Turn both check. River I got top pair and I got raised almost all in, I pushed all in. Opponent had straight and I lost with top pair kings.

My question is should I call the river bet? Did I play the flop well? Should I have raised the Turn?

Thank you.

***** 888poker Snap Poker Hand History*****
$0.01/$0.02 Blinds No Limit Holdem - ***
1 NL
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: Hero ( 45BB ) (Button)
Seat 7: villain ( 110BB )
seat 9 villain2

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero[ Kh, Ah ]
villain raises [3BB]
villain2 calls [3BB]
Hero raises [9BB]
villain calls
villain2 calls
** Dealing flop ** [ Ts, 5d, 9h ]
villain checks
villain2 checks
Ljjlaimis bets [14BB] (half pot)
villain calls
villain2 folds
** Dealing turn ** [ Jd ]
villain checks
Hero checks
** Dealing river ** [ Ks ]
villain bets [15BB]
Hero all in
villain calls
** Summary **
Hero shows [ Kh, Ah ]
villain shows [ Jc, Qc ]
board [Ts, 5d, 9h, Jd, Ks]
villain won with straight

3betfish

3betfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise more preflop (12-15BB?), and call the river bet instead of shoving. Nice float, but you got the shorter end of the stick.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,

I played a hand I can't figure out if I played it correctly. Basically I had AKs 3bet preflop and got called by 2 other players. Flop did not have 3bet call range cards so I figured I my hand was still ahead of other players so I bet half pot and I got called. Turn both check. River I got top pair and I got raised almost all in, I pushed all in. Opponent had straight and I lost with top pair kings.

My question is should I call the river bet? Did I play the flop well? Should I have raised the Turn?

Thank you.

***** 888poker Snap Poker Hand History*****
$0.01/$0.02 Blinds No Limit Holdem - ***
1 NL
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: Hero ( 45BB ) (Button)
Seat 7: villain ( 110BB )
seat 9 villain2

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero[ Kh, Ah ]
villain raises [3BB]
villain2 calls [3BB]
Hero raises [9BB]
villain calls
villain2 calls
** Dealing flop ** [ Ts, 5d, 9h ]
villain checks
villain2 checks
Ljjlaimis bets [14BB] (half pot)
villain calls
villain2 folds
** Dealing turn ** [ Jd ]
villain checks
Hero checks
** Dealing river ** [ Ks ]
villain bets [15BB]
Hero all in
villain calls
** Summary **
Hero shows [ Kh, Ah ]
villain shows [ Jc, Qc ]
board [Ts, 5d, 9h, Jd, Ks]
villain won with straight

I will say on this hand, I have experience pain on your end but all I can advise is instead of betting, see your opponents action first before then if your opponent is betting strong you should fold whether or not he is bluffing.

P

pokijh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold on the flop. AK is a strong hand, but worthless unless you hit. Especially in a cash game, you can fold and wait for a better spot.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise bigger preflop like 10+bb. And fold the turn when he bets, really horrible call on turn.

3betfish

3betfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold on the flop. AK is a strong hand, but worthless unless you hit. Especially in a cash game, you can fold and wait for a better spot.

I was also thinking of folding in this spot as well, especially versus 2 other opponents.

R

ricardibreezer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's my 2cents:

In cash games, if i have drawing hands like suited connectors i want to control the pot and get to the river cheaply if i need to make my hand. I want to do it pretty cheaply, ideally my opponent will bet small to give me good pot odds for calls, and then i can make a nice value bet on the river if i get there.
If however i have a big starting hand such as AK/AQ or AJ, these are usually the hands that end up paying of drawing hands off that hit (your hand above is the perfect example). So i play them the opposite and defend against draws. I want to make it expensive preflop, then take that pot down quickly on the flop with an aggressive bet which makes the price too high for opponents that want to draw out or float.

Reviewing your hand is always easier after you know what your opponent had, but here's what i think would have been the premium play in this scenario. Firstly you are a little short with 45BB. With 45bb im often eager to get shoving. Playing short stacked can be fun because you don't need to worry about hands getting to expensive.

I think you made mistakes preflop, post flop and on the river.

Firstly, why did you raise 3x? You raised 2 players where 1 had raised it 3x already, and another had called the 3x raise. By raising another 3x you're asking 2 players to make a decision they already made - raising 3x only serves to bloat the pot cause you're getting called by 2 other players. If i have AA or KK here i raise 3x knowing i almost certainly get 2 callers, i want to bloat the pot but keep them in it.

With AK i raise more, say 5x or 6x, because i don't mind winning the pot there and then, but it will likely get at least 1 fold and possibly get us heads-up vs a player who just made a mistake (like a loose call from a KJ or AJ type hand which we have dominated).

If we get reraised again we can assume we've ran into AA KK or QQ and bin it.

So, bet 5x with 1 caller & 1 fold imo is perfect scenario. That means we are heads up, with 34 BB pot.

You then get a perfect flop. 9 10 5 rainbow. No flushes connect & no straights are possible. As you opponent flat called, an overpair is unlikely. The only possible hands to worry about here is a set of 10's or 9's... essentially the nuts. Your opponent ofcourse has an up/down draw and 2 overcards so your opponent will think hes in great shape, but in reality hes drawing dead to 13 cards.

At this point your stack is around the pot size, so shoving is a must. You might get your opponent to lay down his draw, depends on the type of player he is. I suspect he is conservative though as over the flop/turn he only bet once (50% pot) then he checked turn, despite top-pair and nut draw. So a shove on the flop probably wins you a nice pot - if you get called then you lose on the river... but long term it's a profitable play, as your money goes in as a big favourite on the flop - instead, in reality you got your money in when you were crushed on the river with a board showing 4 cards to a straight - you were right to check the turn, at that point i don't think you should have commited another penny to this hand, since you couldn't get the hand won on either of the first 2 streets.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this hand did everything right,flop opponents broccoli and you have to put in the continuation right,the turn led you to the fact that you caught a gutshot and then stop hard...

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker