What am I supposed to do

P

Phoenix14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Supposing I have aces in a $1/$2 game and raise $30 preflop.

Opponent flat calls with K 10 and catches 2 pair on the flop.

I shove, he calls, and I lose.

What the hell do you do here?

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

How much did you have to shove? I don't think much you can do. Seems that getting 1 caller to a 15X bb raise is what you want. Think I'd shove after most flops there. I mean even with him having 2 pair you still have 5 outs for turn and most like 8 on the river. Unless he hits boat. So you still have close to 30% chance of winning with the horrible flop, and he's probably call with hands like KQ or KJ if he's calling a 15X preflop raise so in the long run you will profit against these players

P

Phoenix14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How much did you have to shove? I don't think much you can do. Seems that getting 1 caller to a 15X bb raise is what you want. Think I'd shove after most flops there. I mean even with him having 2 pair you still have 5 outs for turn and most like 8 on the river. Unless he hits boat. So you still have close to 30% chance of winning with the horrible flop, and he's probably call with hands like KQ or KJ if he's calling a 15X preflop raise so in the long run you will profit against these players

Exactly, that's what I put him on, KQ or KJ. There has to be a way to know whether he caught a shitty 2 pair or not, without having a dead read on him as a player.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips

Frankly, I would check. And if there is aggression on the other side, I fold these two Aces.

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You still lose 20% of the time with pocket aces, probably didnt need to shove and could have seen what opponent did though.

He could have had pocket kings as well and flopped a set...

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raising 15x was your first mistake,,,you'll never get full value for a great hand that way.;)

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First off, there is a lot of information missing here. Stack sizes? position?, table dynamics? Is 15x bb standard? (doubt it). Your huge opening size probably turns your hand face up. Your flop shove will fold out worse hands and get called by better hands. Not a great way to play aces imo

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will lose stacks playing poker it's par of the course.

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will lose stacks playing poker it's par of the course.

Very true, but we don't have to play aces in a way that we either win a small pot or lose our stack.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
having AA, I throw all in..
and the two dollars would be intact...))))
or all... or zero...))))
:stupido:

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very true, but we don't have to play aces in a way that we either win a small pot or lose our stack.

Looks like he played them vs a bad player for max value.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, so many bizarre plays on this one ! For pre-flop, the $30 raise seems way too big. I'd raise the standard 3-4BB or 5-6BB if there are a lot of loose players. I'm not sure what he was thinking with his call here. Maybe he's thinking that you have something like 88 and you really don't want to play with it so you are trying to win the pot immediately with a huge bet. Either way, his KT is a very weak hand to call 15BB with and is -EV here. As far as the flop goes, an unpaired hand will hit 2 pair on the flop about 4% of the time. So, he out flopped you. At that point, there isn't much you can do. The shove is pretty standard there since the only hand beating you for any reasonable player's calling range is KK. Even then, I'd expect him to re-raise you all-in pre-flop with that hand.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA is most powerful starting hands.But starting hand nothing more.First you decide how much you will raise.Second,if it does not hit the set on the flop you have great chance to lose that hand especially if you are followed by multiple opponents or tight player.In this case you decided to act like a guy who has large bankroll so deposit more money,get back on the track and dont repeat that beginners mistakes no more.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you do here? Well if you play aces against a weak player who flops 2 pair like this you go broke...not being funny, it just happens. You want these players to call with worse but you dont want to be getting it in bad.

For me, i agree with the play of a standard raise...possibly $8 or so preflop. Then betting the flop pretty strong should indicate to you he has something, you can make better decisions from there on...you likely still lose the pot, but maybe not for your entire stack.

In the midst of playing the hand out like this, and seeing the actions play out - if my opponent decides to shove then its time to decide if they would do that with only top pair, or worse?...because thats all the aces will beat.

Lots of ways this could have gone
But at the end of the day, you need players to make bad calls so when your premiums do hold up you make $$ :)

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise less preflop so that your not faced with calling a bet post flop when you're behind. If you plan is to call no matter what you might as well go all in preflop. You have to learn to fold Aces if you want to increase you level of play.

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What you do is keep your cool. Playing heads up poker, Aces lose 20 cent of the time, and the more people in the pot the higher your chances of losing. Just saying, your gonna lose with Aces too sometimes. If you raised $30 in $2 blind, a keen observer might have noticed that that play makes little sense, put you on aces, and new he could take you for everything if he hits a big hand. And thats what happened. It's poker. We all have to take losses in this game. The key is to keep your composure and stick to your discipline

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What you do is keep your cool. Playing heads up poker, Aces lose 20 cent of the time, and the more people in the pot the higher your chances of losing. Just saying, your gonna lose with Aces too sometimes. If you raised $30 in $2 blind, a keen observer might have noticed that that play makes little sense, put you on aces, and new he could take you for everything if he hits a big hand. And thats what happened. It's poker. We all have to take losses in this game. The key is to keep your composure and stick to your discipline
This in my humble opinion is the the wisest of the recommendations posted thus far. To expand on this a couple things additional to consider..

We're you having a good, average, or terrible session at that table before this hand? Then how about your opponent?
Up big, new to table, or down a ton?

I know those don't seem like normal questions but here's the logic behind it. First off a $30 raise here just smells like scared money to me? It just has that I'm going win this one dammit vibe.

Second people who call those types of raises with king ten are one of three types.
Sharks that smell blood
Lucky fish on a really good run
Or people who you won't be seeing much of because their broke!

So the next time you sit at a table consider that? If that guy has 200/250 bigs and table max is say $100 buy in he's hitting cards. Some times on some days people just can't be beat no matter what your holding.

Finally if your this upset over getting beat with bullets and you were the aggressor who placed this large preflop bet? You need to just stop completely for at least a week! No poker none no tournaments no freerolls and absolutely no more cash games! Go fishing or something but step away from it and clear your head and your frustrations. Or get used to going to the ATM often! Been there done that.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Dont leave keep playing him until the sun comes up,you just hooked a fish dont let him take your bait start reeling him in!

ggf99

ggf99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You still lose 20% of the time with pocket aces, probably didnt need to shove and could have seen what opponent did though.

He could have had pocket kings as well and flopped a set...

I think, but i could be wrong, its 3bet preflop with pocket Kings. So he could not.
In this situation shove looks like 2 pairs or monster draw.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its easy to know what to do in cases like that. You go and break furniture! Things like old chairs for example. I think it is important for poker players to have old and inexpensive furniture close at hand at all times.

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, but i could be wrong, its 3bet preflop with pocket Kings. So he could not.
In this situation shove looks like 2 pairs or monster draw.

Honestly either he thought you were bluffing or he was a fish. Either way you did the right play I think, and its just a bad beat cause of variance. Keep sticking to the gameplan!

VisionNutz

VisionNutz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Need way more info

Stack size
Online / Live
Duration of sitting
Villains style throughout game
What color was his shoes?
Did he shuffle with left ships and play candy crush on his iphone 13 jiggawatt?

I tend to avoid dancing with players who play candy crush on iphones with 13 jiggawatts.

Cheers!

but no honestly, since that just happened - you played it well if he had AK or KQ or open ender straight draw you've priced him out.

Pot was what 60 on FLOP (K x 10)

try a smaller bet maybe? and then if you get raised then its to the decision tank we go :)

EDIT - also keep in mind you have a redraws giving you about 30% in the hand

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you did the right thing and you have to keep doing it, maybe you lose 30% of the time but you will gain 70% and you will end up seeing the good results
:icon_porc

D

droozy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You made your hand very transparent with 15 BB open-raise. I would open with 3-4 BB and play accordingly to the flop. No need to shove on the flop. It is a bad beat but you could have lost less.

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Really sucks losing AA but it happens to all of us I agree with the 3-5 BB raise. After the flop a pot size bet. If he comes over the top at least you have a shot to assume a set or 2 pair.