What is a straddle

L

LOOPY

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been watching some cash game video blogs on U-Tube, and noticed the blogger often mentions "UTG straddles".
What is a straddle ???

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I've been watching some cash game video blogs on U-Tube, and noticed the blogger often mentions "UTG straddles".
What is a straddle ???
A straddle is usually double the BB (or previous straddle) and is staked blind, i.e. without seeing your hole cards. :)

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is a straddle ???

It's essencially a bigger big blind. UTG puts out 2BB without seeing his cards, and when the action gets to him, he can decide wether to raise or not, just like the big blind would do in a normal situation.

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What people above me have said.

Its usually done to induce action on the tables so there is more to play for so people can sometimes play wider and create bigger pots and more action

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'll also add that the straddle doesn't need to be from UTG, in live cash games the straddle is often placed on the button.

A normal straddle would go like this in a $1/$2 game

SB $1
BB $2
UTG/Straddle $4
Action starts on UTG+1

A button straddle:

BTN/Straddle $4
SB $1
BB $2
Action starts in the small blind.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Essentially a straddle is a double blind to the big blind to create action where there are no blind increases in a cash game. As mentioned above traditionally the straddle starts from the UTG position therefore giving the player last to act before the flop. However depending on how lenient the players are at the table you can opt for button straddles or hidden straddles that are more complex but makes the game really interesting.

StomatologT

StomatologT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Straddle in poker is a double bet on the preflop, that is, the player has not even seen his pocket cards, but already raises the bet. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: