What is a pot sized bet?

What is a pot sized bet to you?

• It's what in the pot at the start of the hand.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's in the pot plus what's being bet.

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • It doesn't matter to me. It's push all the way or fold.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What to you constitutes a pot sized bet?
Is it what's in the pot at the start of the hand?
Or is it what's in the pot including that round of betting to you?

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A pot sized bet, would be a bet that equals what is currently in the pot when it is your turn to act.

Example:

$200 in pot before round of betting.
Villain 1 bets $50
Villain 2 calls bet of $50

You would need to bet $300 to constitute a pot-sized bet.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why is this a poll when there's only one right answer? :p

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure there is only one right answer here. Perhaps by definition there is one, but from a players POV does it or does it not contain current bets before it gets to you?

My opinion is that it does contain the current bets ahead of you.
The pot bet button will add you calling, then the raise will be the pot at that time. The example tos gave is a bit wrong in that he didn't add the call before the raise. It should read;

Villain 1 bets $50
Hero calls $50, AND raises $350
Pot is then $700.

And that would be the POT BUTTON raise. Only the first to act will get the exact pot sized bet in.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure there is only one right answer here. Perhaps by definition there is one, but from a players POV does it or does it not contain current bets before it gets to you?

The pot bet button will add you calling, then the raise will be the pot at that time. The example tos gave is a bit wrong in that he didn't add the call before the raise. It should read;

Villain 1 bets $50
Pot is then $700.

And that would be the POT BUTTON raise. Only the first to act will get the exact pot sized bet in.

This^^, don't forget to add your "call" to the size of the pot before you raise.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm asking this because some sites have pot size bet buttons and others don't. Some pot bet buttons are set for what was at the beginning of betting. I was wondering if players took time to figure out what was in the pot or did the lazy way.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm asking this because some sites have pot size bet buttons and others don't. Some pot bet buttons are set for what was at the beginning of betting. I was wondering if players took time to figure out what was in the pot or did the lazy way.

and for sites that dont have the pot bet button get the script!
:D

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Villain 1 bets $50
Pot is then $700.

Thank you fine sirs. I originally had Villain 2 as Hero and forgot to add in the call when I changed it.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think mostly it is a "lazy" thing for people. In the majority of cases a 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot is a much better sized bet for accomplishing your goal.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The pot button at Full Tilt. First to act after the deal, pot button is 3x plus the SB, so figure that is usually 3.5x. Post flop, the pot button is what's in the pot for the first to act, then falls in line with the above.

poker stars doesn't have one that I've noticed. Maybe in some pot limit games, but it is not normal. However, I don't play there often enough to be sure, and am on a lunch break with no time to explore.

bodogs pot button works the same as Full Tilt.

The one thing I liked about the old Doyles Room was that there were 3x,4x,5x, buttons.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think mostly it is a "lazy" thing for people. In the majority of cases a 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot is a much better sized bet for accomplishing your goal.

what if my goal is to build the pot as quick as possible, i play the low limit games and the blinds are 10 and 25 so i use the pot bet preflop and post flop so the pot is big enough to go all in if i want. not lazy,dumb maybe lol.