What is a poker downswing? or playing bad?

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you determine when you are just playing bad or having a downswing?

also is there a way to ajust? playing tighter?

Last edited:
MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

IMO a downswing and playing bad can be one in the same. Lately I have been recording all of my sessions online and making notes in my bankroll tracker while playing live to help let me understand if it is something I am doing that I can directly affect or if it is something out of my control, such as a bad run of cards. As far as adjusting goes, if you are making bad decisions playing tighter "might help" just from a shear numbers perspective, you might not lose as much because you aren't playing as many hands lol. but if you are playing bad you will still be losing just not as often. Now, if you are making the best decisions every street and are still losing then now I would say you are on a downswing and they only way to beat it, is to continue playing maybe even playing more, because if you are truly making the right decisions your upswing is right around the corner. Good luck at the tables.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A downswing is running below ev (expected value) The amount you would expect to win in any given situation.If you lose 2 flips in a row for example your running below ev as you would expect to win one of those if the ev was neutral. Losing AA to KK is running below ev as you expect to win 80% of the time.Bad play is,well it's just playing badly.A downswing does usually lead to bleeding more chips than you should though because it can causes some tilt or playing more passive than usual so not your A game in most cases.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you use software as you should for online cash it will show up in your charts. Although in poker the lows are 10x worse than the highs.

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So in theory, if I go all in preflop with pocket Aces all the time I should be positive EV, a downswing would be getting beat with pocket Aces, how many big blinds?

B

bonzai888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
running bad is , getting beat and beat with a bat, and if your not strong enough you will turn into a tilt monkey.

say you go allin b4 preflop, you have KK playa has QQ flop As 2d 8d , turn Jh
river that damn Qh

next hand you get poc 8h 8d
flop 8s 9h Kh

you bet a nice size bet,
plya just goes all in
you snap call

turn Jc
river 3h

and lol playa shows 2h 7h

then you think wtf , then booom you just don't care no mo! tilt monkey

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So in theory, if I go all in preflop with pocket Aces all the time I should be positive EV, a downswing would be getting beat with pocket Aces, how many big blinds?

You expect to lose a certain percent of the time with any given hand so a downswing is a longer than expected run of bad cards.The run might last days or months.But if you use a poker tracker you can check every 10k hands or so and see how your running with your ev.

vladloza

vladloza

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any player has ups and downs)) And only on the level of your game and the compliance of bankroll management depends on their protsetnoe parity. A player with a high win rate of minus months at a constant game can be from 2 to 4, and for a weak player, on the contrary, 2 to 4. So your ups and downs are directly dependent on the quality of your game on average. Of course, there are cases when the falls can be delayed for a long time, that's why professional players build their bankroll so that it's painless to experience such moments. On the Internet there is a special calculator on which in online mode you can calculate the vaantis of your ups and downs, based on your winemaking and the number of hands that you win.

K

Kostik007

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Explain please I this week played probably about 100 tournaments and with good hands two aces two ladies Two kings I lost with these hands and tell me please I play well or badly when you constantly move

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I play and make mistakes then it is clear that this is not a recession. Recession when you play correctly but you do not get to win on the table with a good card and you lose money or chips.

K

Kostik007

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I play and make mistakes then it is clear that this is not a recession. Recession when you play correctly but you do not get to win on the table with a good card and you lose money or chips.
I agree with you I often so happens

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With me, it's the same as I can not win with AA and KK. I think that everything is imposed on me, so I can never enter a good prize so that at the final table, because of this there is no mood for something to learn and play well.

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am having a terrible downswing. I haven never had so many bad beats or more importantly, consistently being on the wrong end of a flip (ak v qq) etc. no matter what side i am on i lose,when it really matters. i keep falling in stakes, and it gets worse as i plummet. i am wondering how much of this has to do with me playing at lower stakes than i am used to , i am currently mainly playing on ignition. I always crushed double ups, and i think i am winning one out of ten right now... super depressing. i am wondering if i should switch up sites, thinking of going back to carbon. i am also on acr and intertops, if anybody has any suggestions... maybe i should just jump back into the higher stakes that i am used to...

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am having a terrible downswing. I haven never had so many bad beats or more importantly, consistently being on the wrong end of a flip (ak v qq) etc. no matter what side i am on i lose,when it really matters. i keep falling in stakes, and it gets worse as i plummet. i am wondering how much of this has to do with me playing at lower stakes than i am used to , i am currently mainly playing on ignition. I always crushed double ups, and i think i am winning one out of ten right now... super depressing. i am wondering if i should switch up sites, thinking of going back to carbon. i am also on acr and intertops, if anybody has any suggestions... maybe i should just jump back into the higher stakes that i am used to...

Hate to steal this guys thread, cause this is not what the thread is about... but if you don't have the bankroll to play the higher stakes.. then don't.. you will play with an emotional attachment to your dollar. I would first take a hard look at your game and find out if maybe this is some leaks that have started showing up that you might not be aware of. Even when we think we are playing "good" / or our best poker, we are biased and miss a lot that is in our control. If this is not true and you truly are just on the bade side of variance and on a downswing then as long as you keep playing any of your suggestions are fine as far as switching sites, just don't jump back into higher stakes unless you are properly rolled. If you are a profitable player then the downswing will not last and you will be on the upswing sooner or later.

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hate to steal this guys thread, cause this is not what the thread is about... but if you don't have the bankroll to play the higher stakes.. then don't.. you will play with an emotional attachment to your dollar. I would first take a hard look at your game and find out if maybe this is some leaks that have started showing up that you might not be aware of. Even when we think we are playing "good" / or our best poker, we are biased and miss a lot that is in our control. If this is not true and you truly are just on the bade side of variance and on a downswing then as long as you keep playing any of your suggestions are fine as far as switching sites, just don't jump back into higher stakes unless you are properly rolled. If you are a profitable player then the downswing will not last and you will be on the upswing sooner or later.

I appreciate the advice, i may be tilting more than i realize...:icon_boun -Thanks