variance

M

MrG31

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
I would appreciate any suggestions. I am new to poker and am playing online cash games 01/.02 NL. I have taken the CardChat free course (I found it excellent), however, although I have some winning sessions, I find that at least at the $2 buy in 3 times the big blind raises or pot size raises often get called preflop from 23 suited. I often get outdrawn holding pocket AA's or KK's on what is considered a "dry board"; either by 4 card or 5 card flushes or 2 pairs by the river. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As someone who routinely loses with higher pairs to lower pairs, and higher AX to lower Ax, I'm beginning to think that the only way to get anywhere is to rely on suited connectors and gappers. The "drawing" hands have a much greater chance of winning (drawing) by the river than the KK hand that ran into 555 on the flop, or the AK hand that ran into A5 that made a pair of fives on the flop.

It's become a running joke with me. The cards get turned over after 55 shoves into my KK. I sit there saying here comes the 5, and sure enough it always comes. Which means my KK is now next to worthless. (If that only happened one time in five, I'd be way ahead. But it happens a LOT more than one in five.) However, my 6h4h has a good chance (42%) of still winning on a flop o 3h5hXx.

Of course, I rarely draw to the straight or flush either, so in the end it's about wasting as little time as possible till the inevitable.

Last edited:
M

MrG31

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for your response and viewpoint.