UTG re-raised by Button

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Full table at $2-$5 NLH. Hero with :qd4::qc4: UTG raises to $15 preflop. Button re-raises to $100 with effective stack of $250. Call. Flop is :3c4::5c4::as4:. Hero bets $75 from an effective stack of $850. Villain shoves all in. Table knows my early position raises are wide-ranging while Villain has a tight image. $250 to win $457. Definitely gotta be a snap call here.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You don't get a good price on preflop. We are opening from a strong position which is UTG. And the villain 3-bet is too big and clearly compromises his entire stack. We also know that the BTN is a tight player. For all this, our preflop call is unbalanced, since our queens do not have the adequate strength to defend against this great 3-bet. But if we decide to continue to flop, we can offset our preflop range disadvantage and call again here. Another exploitative alternative would be to avoid donk bet and then to fold due to our SPR and if we believe that now the V arrived with its AX combos that turned into a bluff.
When you lead the flop you want to load all the cheap bluffs in rank V. The problem is that coming from a tight player, we shouldn't risk and play GTO. The exploitative game is more profitable in this spot. Because we know that on rare occasions the villain will have middle pockets like 9-9 here.
Greetings.

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's exactly the hand V showed down. Trying to pull a fast one based on his tight image.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's exactly the hand V showed down. Trying to pull a fast one based on his tight image.

I'm glad it was like that, you've faced a very good player of balanced range. Your flop bet induced his bluffing range and your decision to continue was successful.

P

pablo lima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On that occasion I would really think long before I continue I would certainly drop that hand to any sudden enhancement

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you took the toughest possible line here. V's ridiculous 3 bet sizing is very polarizing but combined with his tiny remaining stack, Hero's loose image, and our hand strength I think I'd rather just 4 bet pre since we are OOP. Flatting is also fine but I really don't understand donk leading $75 on an Ace high flop when V only has $150 left on the flop. We can never fold to the jam so we lose the max and will win the minimum unless V turns his hand into a bluff which you haven't indicated the tight player had a propensity to do. This should allow V to fold most of his bluffs and play perfectly. When he comes over the top with no fold equity he should pretty much always have Ax. If we are far enough out of line that he still thinks 99 is good then he's going to bet if we check anyways and we can bluff catch a much wider range (KQs, KJs, and all those middling pairs). When we donk lead some of those combos will give up and he should only be continuing with the top of his range. I've seen middle pairs like JJ and TT make these huge raises pre trying to buy the pot and avoid a flop. It could be a sizing tell to look out for. KK+ would more likely want action from the lose UTG open. Congrats on taking it down though.

Also, effective stack is a term used to indicate the smaller of the two players stacks. It's confusing to refer to Hero as having $850 effective since you've already said V was playing $250. The math is still a bit confusing. It sounds to me now like V had $350 effective pre flop? Which means if we donk lead $75 and got jammed on we would need to call $175 to win 532 (-rake), making the total pot 707. If he had $250 left on the flop I dislike the donk lead even more. If V was $250 effective then we would have to call $75 to win 432 (-rake), making the total pot 507.