Upswing Quiz, Questionable Line

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, I was wondering what you think about the answer to question 10 of this quiz?

https://upswingpoker.com/instagram-...0990d0d1a4f5309c74070ac2bf3cfa7869e3cfd4ff832

10) You're playing $2/$5 live with $500 stacks. Middle position (decent regular) raises to $20 and you're on the button with J♠️ T♠️.

A: The correct answer is to 3-bet. The best sizing is somewhere between $60 and $80. This hand is a good candidate for a 3-bet bluff because it blocks strong hands such as AJs, ATs, KJs, KTs, JJ and TT.
If one (or both) of the players in the blinds is a very weak player who will make many mistakes preflop and postflop, calling becomes a more reasonable option in order to draw them into the pot.

I'm kind of baffled by this whole blocker talk, because the way I see it JTs unblocks stronger broadways that would call.

My line here would be to simply call, and instead make 3-bet bluffs with borderline unplayable hands such as (67s - 43s & Low suited aces).

Pokersnowie agrees this is a call, and 3-bets low suited aces as bluffs instead.

What are your thoughts on 3-betting this hand? Is it because MP raised (strong range)? If so why does Snowie prefer to call?

I was going to subscribe to upswing but now I'm questioning them.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, it is pretty close. You can even just fold, and it will not exactly be a big mistake.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I would rather 3bet JTs than low suited aces.
There is a definite continue or fold on the flop with JTs.
If your Ace hits you have to continue and maybe well behind a MP raiser with a stronger ace.
If your draw misses you can happily fold.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for explaining guys :)

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If one (or both) of the players in the blinds is a very weak player who will make many mistakes preflop and postflop, calling becomes a more reasonable option in order to draw them into the pot.

I think this is the important bit.

The ev should be pretty much the same, atleast when the solver plays itself. Vs humans I would make this villain dependent. Either 3bet for isolation or "protection" vs squeezes depending on the table.
But playing micros I would suggest leaning more towards 3bet, people are weak postflop anyway so playing SC IP + initiative is just a wet dream :D

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Solver likely assign 25-40% 3bet frequency for JTs. BTN vs HJ
Live game just make more adjustments to see if flatting or 3bet more profitable