U T G blooper

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limped with K K hoping to reraise. No luck. Flop is garbage. I bet big into it and lose all my chips to BB. Moral: Rspect the blinds when you are making a non standard play.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A better moral would be to not have an UTG limping range, so you don't find yourself tempted to vary your play by limping KK.

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Painful lessons are the most memorable.

nucl

nucl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't have a limp range and never limp except if I complete from the small blind.
But my tip in limping is to limp sometimes if you know your opponents you have in your table. So if you have a maniac then sometimes limp for balance.

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basically, the real crime occurred on the flop grossly misplayed by UTG. Should have made a small "feeler" bet to discover if anyone scored heavily. That info would have been revealed in short order, and major damage could've been averted by releasing the hand. Sigh....:(

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Basically, the real crime occurred on the flop grossly misplayed by UTG. Should have made a small "feeler" bet to discover if anyone scored heavily. That info would have been revealed in short order, and major damage could've been averted by releasing the hand. Sigh....:(

Well, yeah, going broke with a single pair, and an SPR on the flop that was probably near 30, was a bad thing. But, this is why you don't have a limping range UTG. Obviously, you should have gotten off the road before going broke, but the best advice was to avoid getting on that road in the first place.

Don't limp UTG. Don't stack off (against most sane players) with a single pair unless the SPR is exceptionally low. Pay attention to when you face resistance and ask yourself if your hand really is all that good when someone wants to calls (or raises) the bets you are making.

TRoy

TRoy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like keeping this play in the repertoire from certain circumstances. For instance in a tournament if I have a super aggro behind me to act, or if there is a small stack tilting you know is going to raise for you behind. However if its not a big buy-in tournament I Always just bet and see what type of action accumulates. You can never go wrong with keeping your range face up.

supermoto

supermoto

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that happens very often for wanting to catch the villain he catches you with that kind of play

K

koskesh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For such a small pot, it was clearly the wrong decision and quite often opponents deem these types of large bets as an act of aggression and call just for sh!ts and giggles, especially at micro games.