Trips post flop?

R

Ray

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think i may be playing trips wrong post flop. I usually make a pot size bet post flop whenever i hit a set. This is because a) i want to get my money in the middle when i have a strong hand b) not to give any drawing hands the odds to call.

More often then not everyone folds and i take the pot right there, but is that really what i want?

Today i got Js-Jc in early position and i raise 4BB, i get 2 callers. Flop comes 6d-7d-Jh and i now have the best posible hand at this point. I make my usual pot size bet and fold-fold the pot is mine. Had i made a 2BB bet i would have given any flush or strait drawing hands the odds to call and would that be a bad thing?

A flush draw would have 8 outs on the turn (Jd would give me quads) but i myself have 6 outs to make a full house + 1 out for quads. Lets say the turn is 8c, i would not have no less then 10 outs on the river to beat any flush or strait. Thats more outs then any drawing hand would have + i already have a made hand.

Not sure i have made my thinking clear, but i sure would like some feedback cause i am simply not getting enough out of trips. According to my small hand database, i would be better of never to play any small or medium pocket pair.

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had i made a 2BB bet i would have given any flush or strait drawing hands the odds to call and would that be a bad thing?
Yes, it would be a bad thing because you can't easily fold your set if a 3-flush hits.

The chasers are going to chase anyway, so make it as expensive for them as possible.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A pot sized bet is too strong here. You don't just have a set you have top set so unless someone called with queens or kings your best hope of building a pot is a draw and like you said you have more outs even if they hit theirs. If someone has a big draw, a potsized bet on the flop isn't going to make them fold because of implied odds but a smaller bet might keep a middle pair in the hand. I'd bet a smaller continuation bet like i had AK, if they fold to that they didn't have much anyway. If they do hit the draw on the turn your smaller bet has managed the size of the pot and you're more likely to see the river while they might try to put you all in right away if you're playing it hard.

R

Ranger390

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you are playing your set just about right. Remember, it's better to win a small pot than lose a big pot.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is a difference between trips and a set. on the hand you posted you floped a set. a very strong hand no doubt. had you just one J in the hole and 2 more came on the flop, you would have trips. again a strong hand but very vulnerable, as the other jack could be in someone elses hand, perhaps with a better kicker or even a floped full house. in low limits, for whatever stupid reason, it's not uncommon to see people playing J7 suited and the such.

regardless, never slow play them. especially on a draw heavy board. if you take down the pot on the flop be happy with that and move on. only slow play if you have a very good read on your opponent.

P

pkrook

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chiefer77 is...

correct to a degree...his facts are accurate, but in this crazy game of poker your actions vs your opponents dictate the outcome of hand...well sometimes... ;o)

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK take another look at your original hand but look at it in a worst case scenario

Js Jc, board 6d 7d Jh

Do you really want to give an opponent odds to draw if the opponent has
Ad Jd or Jd Td which can be hands that opponents will call a preflop raise with??

As was said, be glad you take down the pot right there on the flop instead of slow playing yourself into a big pot lost.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another thing to consider is the preflop action. In the hand you posted YOU raised preflop and got 2 callers. So you probably had the strongest hand to start. So when you bet pot on a flop that is unlikely to have helped anyone but yourself, most hands likely fold. Now if the action had been an EP raiser with you calling and then flopping your set you can usually play them much more aggressively because your opponent likely started with a better hand on average. I'll also play them harder if the flop contains an Ace as I'm more likely to get action.

In the situation you described above I would usually lead out with a bet but it might be on the smaller end of my continuation bet range (between 1/2 and 2/3 of the pot).

odinscott

odinscott

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what other cards are on the flop to go with the set. I mean if your set is the dead nuts, you can get away with slowplaying, where if there is a flush or straight draw on the board, you have to bet heavy and make them pay to see the next card.

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends what the flop is like how heavily you want to bet your set, if there's a lot of draws likely out go ahead and pot it but if it's a very static flop you can either slowplay or try to finesse more money out of your opponents with a 1/2 or 2/3 pot bet. It also depends on what your set is, if you hit top set you've sometimes killed all the action your hand's going to receive except from draws, so I'd be more inclined to slowplay to give them a chance to hit overcards, though if you hit a set with JJ on a flop of AJ4 and you suspect your opponent to often be playing big aces, I'd go ahead and lead out and/or raise (assuming you occasionally raise light and your opponent knows that, otherwise might be better to raise on a later street so they just don't lay it down knowing you have them dominated.)

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3/4 is even better imo :)

(for the J76dd flop he described and other drawy ones)