Transition From 9 Max to 6 Max!

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you Make the adjustments when you are used to playing 9 max 1/2 and then play 6 max 2/4.
i am finding it tough not because player are more good here and less calling station But They are more unpredictable and some aggro.
How Do I Handle That?

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play 6 max, people are more loose pre-flop than 9 max, its the way it is I guess. Depending on the table you should tighten up pre flop or go aggressive, post flop is usually the same I think, but sometimes you do run into calling stations.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m having some problems transitioning as well

As I m playing full ring live and games are passive and there are family pots
One of the problems with 6max is that no limps and how to handle 3bets?
postflop play almost always HU
Blind stealing seems more important in 6max

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The difference in playing 6 max and 9 max is that you holecards
goes up in value, and that means you should play more hands.
Especially in position.

How to deal with 3 bets -
Keep a tighter range early position, so you wont have to fold to 3 bet as much.
Fold if your up against a nitty player and you dont have a monster.
4 bet or call if you up against a loose reraiser.
Call more of in positon, and fold more out of position.

You could play some 6 man SNG to get a hold of shorthanded play
before you venture in to the cash games ;)

Dont be scared to 3 bet more yourself :icon_boun

R

RunItOnce_James

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i am finding it tough not because player are more good here and less calling station But They are more unpredictable and some aggro.
How Do I Handle That?

If you're finding players more unpredictable and more aggressive there are a few things that you can do. One is that I would go out of my way to take notes on any hands that you find interesting that go to showdown. You'll quickly find that you have useful notes on players that you regularly see that help you make decisions in close spots.

Another thing that you can do is to try to mix up your play a little bit more than normal and set some more traps postflop. Look for some situations where you might usually fastplay and instead choose to just call with your hand.

Lastly, if an opponent is being particularly aggressive versus you postflop, think about maybe playing a slightly tighter range preflop so that you have less close spots postflop and so that your opponent is more likely to run into a value hand when he shows lots of aggression postflop.

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you Make the adjustments when you are used to playing 9 max 1/2 and then play 6 max 2/4.
How Do I Handle That?

I transitioned from Full Ring to 6max as well. I would move 2 stakes down, even just for a day or two to get used to the aggression.

Things to look out for:
  • Facing 3bets. Because there are 3 less players, and blinds are paid more often, 6max is more opportunistic than 9max. You will face (and do yourself) more 3bets. Especially from Blinds against the Button or Cutoff. Make sure you know the villain better than your mother before you decide to call or re-raise
  • Squeeze, once there's a raise EP or MP, and a flat LP, opportunistic regs juts squeeze (3bet from the Blinds). They usually raise 4x raise, because of the flat. Sometimes it's just chronic and overused to be honest and a lot of the regs bring themselves and everyone involved in trouble by over-committing. Because often they have a drawing hand OOP. But it's an annoying move and takes pots quite often.
  • Postflop is sometimes similar to Fullring and sometimes more aggressive. Its because of the 3bets. It makes the pot larger and everyone involved gets committed faster. Thats what annoys me a little on chronic reg squeezers. They have the balls to squeeze a UTG raiser plus a caller, thinking they can get folds all time (they respect UTG less because 3 players are removed). But you have to be very careful. If you know he does it a lot, I would 4bet him because I see them so often with drawing hands. You must deny him easy Flop. He likes to squeeze, if he gets folds great, if not he gets good pot odds by having 2 callers and initiative. No, raise, now he has 1 opponent and bad pot odds.
The agression is something to get used and utilise yourself. SPR is very important in 6max in my opinion.

As the saying goes, a winning 6max player will crush Full Ring, but a winning FR player won't necessarily do well in 6max.

Last edited:
seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I transitioned from Full Ring to 6max as well. I would move 2 stakes down, even just for a day or two to get used to the aggression.

Things to look out for:
  • Facing 3bets. Because there are 3 less players, and blinds are paid more often, 6max is more opportunistic than 9max. You will face (and do yourself) more 3bets. Especially from Blinds against the Button or Cutoff. Make sure you know the villain better than your mother before you decide to call or re-raise
  • Squeeze, once there's a raise EP or MP, and a flat LP, opportunistic regs juts squeeze (3bet from the Blinds). They usually raise 4x raise, because of the flat. Sometimes it's just chronic and overused to be honest and a lot of the regs bring themselves and everyone involved in trouble by over-committing. Because often they have a drawing hand OOP. But it's an annoying move and takes pots quite often.
  • Postflop is sometimes similar to Fullring and sometimes more aggressive. Its because of the 3bets. It makes the pot larger and everyone involved gets committed faster. Thats what annoys me a little on chronic reg squeezers. They have the balls to squeeze a UTG raiser plus a caller, thinking they can get folds all time (they respect UTG less because 3 players are removed). But you have to be very careful. If you know he does it a lot, I would 4bet him because I see them so often with drawing hands. You must deny him easy Flop. He likes to squeeze, if he gets folds great, if not he gets good pot odds by having 2 callers and initiative. No, raise, now he has 1 opponent and bad pot odds.
The agression is something to get used and utilise yourself. SPR is very important in 6max in my opinion.

As the saying goes, a winning 6max player will crush Full Ring, but a winning FR player won't necessarily do well in 6max.
i started with two tables 6 max because i used to play six tables of full ring?
is that ok or should i start with only one?

Sent from my SM-G610F using CardsChat mobile app

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i started with two tables 6 max because i used to play six tables of full ring?
is that ok or should i start with only one?

Sent from my SM-G610F using CardsChat mobile app

If you have a HUD than I don't see a problem. But 2 should be fine since you are used to multitabling. Also another thing, with which I have problem myself, you will see on my thread is Non-Showdown winning. In FR everything is more mechanical. Your Cbets are more effective, ABC poker with a bit of deception will give you winrate. In 6max it will cost you money. You must really play the players better. Non-Showdown is crucial to 6max, imo.