Tournament Add-Ons

M

mmmcher

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Echoing a lot of the other advice in this thread...

Always, always add on if you are getting an overlay on your addon (i.e. more chips than the initial buyin for the same price). Unless you have a stack like a time and a half the size of 2nd place or something.

Otherwise it's all tourney dependent.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am starting to feel that add-ons are a complete waste of money. Anytime I have been in a tournament that offers add-ons, I am either short stacked at the time (which I have previously utilised the add-on), and then found a couple of levels later I am going all in against a deep stack and my add on is insignificant at that point. Alternatively if I am deep stacked at the time of the add-on, then it isn't worth the money to get an extra 5% chips.

Lately the only way I have been playing re-buy and add-on tournaments is to pay the initial amount and view the rebuys and add-ons as a nice way of getting the prize pool bumped up. If I bust out, I don't bother with a rebuy, and I have been foregoing the add-on.

IS this a good strategy? Should I be playing these tournaments differently, or should I be avoiding them altogether?

I have kind of skimmed through other replies but anyway here is mine. Personally Rebuy tourneys are my favorite. The deep stacked play makes it more skill than luck so thats why I personally like them, you can actually play some post flop rather than just play TAG and then be pretty much commited. But many people dont understand something, for example a 5$ rebuy shouldnt be treated as 5$ mtt, as a general rule of thumb i like to multiply the buy in by 7x and thats what im willing to spend in it so its like a 35$ mtt to me. At the beginning the best thing to do is to rebuy immediatly and be willing to take flips to double up, then I kind of tighten up a tad bit but still willing to take flips and usually my goal is to have 12K+ after rebuy period is over then when i add on im slightly above avg and got chips to play with.

C

ChrisJJJJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
....and this is where I usually get my free re-buys. :)

-
Exactly my friend. Thats how I do it. I do not like re-buy tounaments, in my opinion it is a clownfest with people investing more money than the tourney is worth. But thanks its adds to my prizepool.

chukky88

chukky88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i never play rebuy and addon tournaments. i loose very much money at this kind of tournaments,...there is no poker,only luck and i usually dont have luck...if you wanna play poker,play a freezout with 10 or more $ buyin...or sng with the same buyin...