Threebetting suited connectors, yay or nay?

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I decided to mix things up a bit and try threebetting medium suited connectors in position. I tried it with T9 suited and 89 suited from the BTN against raises from LAGs. Both times got 4 bet and I folded. One of the two times, BB called so I was able to see the flop even though I was out of the hand. Would have flopped 2nd pair with a flush draw. Would have been better off just calling and seeing the flop cheaply.

So what do you think? Does it work for you? Should I keep trying?

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Makes sense to raise suited connectors OOP against Cutoff or Button open.

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's a softer table, sure, worth it as you'll get more folds. If it's a nitty/tight table, you're gonna keep getting 4bet out. Play the players, not the cards so much.

Also, if you're in position with those, it's better overall to see those flops instead of trying for those 3bet folds. More value if they have a strong hand to start with and you can get them c-betting into you holding a disguised monster.

Last edited:
ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should be considering position and fold equity when making this decision, not just your hand. Suited connectors are marginal if forced to continue but rarely positive EV plays.

If you get 4 bet that often throws a wrench into the plan and makes the 3 bet costly. Its usually negative EV to call the 4 bet.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's a softer table, sure, worth it as you'll get more folds. If it's a nitty/tight table, you're gonna keep getting 4bet out. Play the players, not the cards so much.

Also, if you're in position with those, it's better overall to see those flops instead of trying for those 3bet folds. More value if they have a strong hand to start with and you can get them c-betting into you holding a disguised monster.

Agreed. If I'm 3 betting it is for 1 of 2 reasons. 1. I have a strong hand or I want to portray that I have a strong hand. So that really says I don't care what the cards are.
2. I know the table feel or the players that are in the pot and know they normally fold to a 3 bet. Again it says I don't care what the cards are.

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Only the High ones are worth it

I like to play suited connectors,
but the only time I three-bet them is with Faces and Aces

TC

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars