Is there an automatic way to deal with high 3 bet ranges in 100BB stacks?

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I feel like some players are too good for me to spend too much effort in trying to "battle" them strategically in 3 bet pots. I just want to make purely numbers based decisions when facing preflop 3 bets. I am looking for some sort of a chart where I would see the % of 3 bet in a situation and simply fold/4 bet based on my range. In case of 4 bet I will remain committed to the hand till the end. This is NOT about when I am facing a 4 bet but only when I am facing a 3 bet.

I am not really asking if I should or shouldn't do this. I am not even looking to do this against most players but only a few. So is there such a chart that I can use? Like if facing 9% 3 bet range what hands can I profitably 4 bet/call 5 bet with at 100BB stacks? I understand this is going to be very high variance play and I am okay with that.

Also side question. At what sample size do you start trusting an opponent's 3 bet % as being reasonably well representative of their range?

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can use an equity calculator like flopzilla or equilab to analyse the pre-flop equity of a hand/range against another hand/range. Using that output you can develop a 4-bet range you're comfortable with. Equilab is free btw.

Somewhere between 50-100 hands you can start using the stat. 250 hands I'm fairly sure. More then 400 and you're generally fine.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I'm going to say it anyway. If you constrain yourself to a 4-bet or fold strategy you're cutting into your winrate. What you're looking for is not a high variance strategy, but a bad low variance one. If you don't want to spend time studying 3-bet pots you're better of playing lower stakes against weaker opposition.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know you don't want to hear this, but I'm going to say it anyway. If you constrain yourself to a 4-bet or fold strategy you're cutting into your winrate. What you're looking for is not a high variance strategy, but a bad low variance one. If you don't want to spend time studying 3-bet pots you're better of playing lower stakes against weaker opposition.

Agree. In cash games its also a complete legit strategy to change table, if you have ended up in a bad seat with aggressive 3-bettors to your direct left. This is for sure better than adopting a strategy of never calling 3-bets to avoid uncomfortable postflop situations.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Start flatting AA and KK v aggro 3bettors and print when they barrel flop and turn. The thing about aggressive 3bettors, is that they overfold to 4bets. Thus, you can consider 4betting some lighter, unpaired hands. KQs AQo, KJs even QTs and flat call with your monsters.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Start flatting AA and KK v aggro 3bettors and print when they barrel flop and turn. The thing about aggressive 3bettors, is that they overfold to 4bets. Thus, you can consider 4betting some lighter, unpaired hands. KQs AQo, KJs even QTs and flat call with your monsters.
I have been 4 bet bluffing a lot but some people have caught up to it I think. So now I am thinking of employing a plan B against them. I will still keep track of how often they are folding to my 4 bets so I can keep going back and forth on this strategy. I have caught a few 5 bet bluffs too as of late so I am not sure if flatting AA/KK is the way to go for now.