Tells and Preflop play.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was playing live recently, and was involved in a large pot. The villain had been a chatterbox the entire session, constantly telling stories and jokes. Seemed to me like a rec player just trying to have fun. Then comes the hand in question. He looks at his cards in UTG +1, suddenly shuts up, and then fires out a raise. Is this a sign of a big hand that he really wants to play well, like aces or kings? Should i bother to get involved with hand that would be super dominated by AA or KK, even in position? Or is this just random, perhaps getting bored? Thanks, and I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to put this.

phantomjiujitsu

phantomjiujitsu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chatty players tend to get real quiet when they look down at a big hand. I'd just get outta the way if I saw it.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chatting for funa and profit.

I've seen chatty players who get quiet when they have big hands, but I've also seen chatty players who get quiet every time they have a hand they want to play.

Keep in mind there are 2 types of chatty players. First, there are the kinds who must like to chat and have fun. Those are great to have at the table. Then there are the kind who chat to learn your tells. For instance, they may spend time talking to you so they can gauge how you act when you are telling the truth and then use that against you when they are in a hand with you to know if you're betting for value or bluffing. These types of chatty players are extremely dangerous.

If someone is doing storytelling more than asking questions they are probably the first kind. If someone is mostly asking questions or using "conversation starters" to get you responding, then be very careful of them.

D

diegitoh9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with what Jonathan said above, besides that is the way he plays, he probably does that to make you think, you will never know what he has until you see him, but being a parlanchin and then shut up and increase, means that makes it appropriate.

Wiltz82

Wiltz82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
watching people

Usually I just like to sit and watch to see how people play before I start talking. I will let the deal go threw a couple of people to see who's talking and who's not. I've noticed that like they said earlier some people will talk till they get a hand they really like and then put more focus on that then talking.

Poker Tells