Taking Shots

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people are capable of playing solidly to the best of their ability 100% of the time. Most people are going to get bored at some point grinding the same game for hours a day and days on end. When they begin to get bored, they'll begin to get sloppy and play below their A-game. It's human nature, it's how we're wired. I think infrequent changes to your game (increase stakes for a session with buy-in cap or new game entirely) help to break the monotony and allow people to play their best game at all times.

I completely disagree with this.

Anything that requires skill requires discipline. This isnt limited to poker this is true of any form of skill.

Discipline does not come naturally to anyone, hence a person who is disciplined stands out from the crowd.

What you are doing is coming up with a scenario that allows yourself, as an individual, to be undisciplined yet justify that lack of discipline as an overall positive.

Unfortunately you are trying to convince the legitimacy of this to someone who simply dosent loose patience and learned to be incredibly disciplined (learned outside of the poker world).

So you will never convince me that there is an upside to temperaliy ignoring a sound principle because you as an individulal lack discapline or patience. If you are having difficulties with patience look for ways to improve or psychologically alter the perception of patience. Do not ignore a sound principle and try and pass this off as a psychological benefit because you aren't addressing the underlying cause of the problem, which is your own lack of patience rather than a flaw with BRM.

You say as human beings we aren't wired this way. This is true but we can make ourselves become wired this way by refusing to buckle to things we know to be wrong or allowing things to get in the way of our goals. This is discipline, its not something you are born with its something you acquire over time if and only if you work at it.

R

rollnutilt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO I wouldn't take a shot if you're not BR'd to it or crushing the stakes you're currently at now which would mean you'd be ready to move up. Don't even think about it. Stick to BRM or you'll go busto before you get started. A couple of bad beats while taking shots may put you on tilt and thus on your way to going busto.