Table position

Osmann

Osmann

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The seat at your table is probably just as important as finding the correct table, but a couple of days ago I realized that this was something I never looked at when I sat down. I realized while looking at some loosing sessions I had, and it showed that all my loosing sessions either came from bad play, or because I had a bad seat. You probably all know about this, but I doubt many of you actually uses it. So I thought I would throw a little reminder out there to you all.

When you sit down, look at the 2 people to your left and on the right. Theese 4 people are the most important persons at the table, because you will loose the most money to the 2 on your left and win the most money from the 2 on your right. So this means that you don't want very tight players or people who are shortstacked directly to your right, because this doesn't allow you to win a lot of money from them. The people to the right should either be your best opponent or some bad/loose players. The reason you want your best opponent to your right is not because you're going to win a lot of money off him, but you won't loose a lot to him either.
The people to your left should preferably be tight players, or players with small stacks. This allows you to not loose very much to them. Bad players aren't bad to have there either. The worst scenario is if your best opponent is to your left, because a lot of the profits you win, he will win from you.
Ofcourse you don't very often know the opponents online, so you won't be able to know who the good and bad players are. But if you find yourself at a good table, but in a bad seat, don't be affraid to leave the table, because it isn't very profitable.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is true to a point but how can you learn to be a better player when you are only looking for certain kinds to play against that are on your right and left? One needs to adjust thier play based apon the players at thier table.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i know this fact and have known for a while, but never take advantage of it. What i do do is try to sit behind the solid players. I hate having a strong player sitting behind me because i hate being out of position in a hand.

Osmann

Osmann

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
twizzybop said:
This is true to a point but how can you learn to be a better player when you are only looking for certain kinds to play against that are on your right and left? One needs to adjust thier play based apon the players at thier table.

I don't see how this affects your "learning" process at all. You will very seldom get the "perfect" seat, so you will encounter all sorts of players to directly to your left and right, so you will always have to adjust your play. Besides you are also playing against the other players sitting in the other seats. So you will go up against a solid player with and without position often enough to make you a better player. I'm just saying you should try and avoid being out of position to him all the time.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not me.. it actually don't matter to me. If I have a loose cannon on my left then I have to keep my hands tighter. If I am someone on my left that loves any 2 soooooted cards, I will note and remember him as such. If someone across from me loves AX off suit again I will note him as such. Or some person so tight that the chips are getting cobwebs again, noted as such. I also note someone who is afraid to raise pre-flop with a top ten pre flop hand.

Position to me is early, mid, late... those matter much more then who actually sits next to me.

P

pokerhannes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Master all skills to play against curtains players.
Choose table of the 2 ppl to the left or right, if u are a good player it dosnt mather. U outplay them all ;)

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to look at the % seeing the flop as an indicator of how loose the table is, which is my main priority (in Omaha High/Low, anyway). Then the pot size gives some idea, but I'll often watch a table for a couple of hands to make sure that it's fairly passive before sitting down. This can additionally be helpful, because you'll want to know how the table responds when there is a bet pre-flop, so you know whether it's worth betting to swell the pot or whether you'll have more success betting to thin the field.

One thing that does really show you the advantage that position can give you is on some of the freerolls. Some of the Jungle Poker freerolls had 6-8 sit-outs at a table at some points, and Party sometimes has a lot of sit-outs. Not only do you effectively play short-handed, but when all the sit-outs are after one player, then they effectively get position over the other active players much more often, and you clearly see how this lets them steal more pots and generally outplay their opponent. Generally in those kinds of freerolls, the other players have to put all their chips on the line to get much profit against an aggressive position-holder, while the one with added position from the sit-outs steals a lot of pots, and can afford the occasional gamble to knock out the other players. One sit-out after you, preferably 2, will give you a significant advantage, and it will teach you more about playing position.

A

AceZWylD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree to a point, but not completely that table position has a huge impact on the overall outcome of a game.

What does have an impact is hand selection, button position, preflop play, and reading your opponents.

For example, I know that if I am sitting at a tight table, if I make a 3x BB preflop raise, I will likely get one caller. You can either bet that caller out post flop, or he will call, but if he calls you better make sure you have the nuts. Conversely, if I am sitting at a loose table, I know my preflop raises will be called, and I can trap them into a huge bet when I have a strong hand. You have got to adapt to your opponents style of play so that you remain successful.

My point is this. Table position has something to do with the cards that are dealt. Some seats get dealt better cards consistently. But playing the cards that you are dealt (and your opponents) is all up to you, and that has nothing to do with table position.