Table full of nits :D

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, just had the pleasure of playing at a table full of extreme nits. Guy immediately to my left was a 3/3 (40 hand sample though), there was a 15/4, and a 20/10 (but with a 94% fold to steal)

How should I adjust my opening ranges for each of these stats? What is the ideal increase in opening range % for each? I already started opening smaller vs them (2.5x instead of 3)

Any tips for how to figure out perfect ranges vs. fold stats using equity/range tools (ie: PIO etc)? Anyone know some youtube vids that go over this?

Last edited:
Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you feel comfortable with it, I would go to an easy 33% until the nits figure out and start reraising me more.

But I've never seen something like this so it's a total guess :)

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you feel comfortable with it, I would go to an easy 33% until the nits figure out and start reraising me more.

But I've never seen something like this so it's a total guess :)

Seems like a good start to work from, thanks :)

Edit: 3/3 guy just caught on lol

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys, just had the pleasure of playing at a table full of extreme nits. Guy immediately to my left was a 3/3 (40 hand sample though), there was a 15/4, and a 20/10 (but with a 94% fold to steal)

How should I adjust my opening ranges for each of these stats? What is the ideal increase in opening range % for each? I already started opening smaller vs them (2.5x instead of 3)

Any tips for how to figure out perfect ranges vs. fold stats using equity/range tools (ie: PIO etc)? Anyone know some youtube vids that go over this?

this is very technical knowledge, difficult to know where someone is explaining about it, in my opinion, the best thing to do and try to develop something about it and keep it a secret!:icon_king

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Stealing

Hi there Nick, thank you for sharing your question.
For stealing from the BTN I use the stats Fold BB x BTN, Fold BB x SB and Fold SB x BTN. Personally, I fold 42% BB x BTN, I fold BB x SB 35% of times and I fold SB x BTN 81% of times.
When we are from the BTN our really concern is the BB, when there are only Tights and NITs on the table. We know that almost every decent player will de folding 80% of times from the SB vs Steal if not more.
So, if BB folds too much, increase your BTN's stealing range to 50% of the best possible hands, if you feel they are really overfolding start to open more, but I guess that if we start to open 100% range BTN versus NITs, even they are going to start to level from SB and BB and 3-bet light and we are going to be folding +50% opening range a 100% of times.
From the SB, simply opens 100% of range versus BB no matter if it is a maniac, a TAG, a passive, because players simply fold too much in situations like this at cash tables.
When we are from the BB, the NIT simply will fold too much and we are going to take the blinds without effort. If the NIT completes, raise BB x SB also utilizing 100% range but fold if NIT completes SB and '3-bets' versus your raise, unless you are very safe to play in position versus a very strong range with the widest part of your range.
When we are in the BB and a NIT opens we should always be calling with pocket pairs and I guess with our entire range. Depending on NIT we can be putting some 3-bet lights, if it folds too much to 3-bet preflop, with hands that has good removal vesus NIT's range such as AT+, pocket pairs, suited broadways, etc.
However, most of NITs don't fold too much to 3-bet because they are always playing the juicy of their range so when we 3-bet they are either calling too much because they are always strong or 4-betting too much for the same reason.
Well, this subject is also very deep and complicated, I am just trying to summarize in a basic manner for you to exploit more and be more exploited by this type of players.
Playing from BTN, SB and BB is the essence and soul of 6-MAX Cash Games, and I don't see many free video/lessons talking serious and deeply about it, only introductions and default know-how.
Don't try to level against NITs postflop, they are not representing anything they have you! So when you are all happy because you hit top trips and the NIT is giving you too much action be certain that your trips/boat would be losing for a Full-House or a better fold in a very high frequency.
We want to steal preflop and we want to take advantage postflop upon their fit or fold strategy, many of them are going to call c-bet flop to fold 100% of unimproved turns with AK, AQ, AJ, AT, all the pocket pairs, and only, because NITs are basically only playing this part of the (capped) range.

Regards;

Carlos "Aballinamion' Barbosa

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice guys :) So far I've just been going by feel and not overdoing it, even though I feel like I can raise 2x a wider range from button against them they can catch on.

Anyone know a tool that can help me work out ideal range vs. range stuff like this prelfop? Can simple preflop do it? I think PIO is only a postflop tool right?
Don't know if you have seen this post allready, but pretty sure they have what you are looking for :)
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/rio-free-essential-sub-1-month-452538/

Yup, I actually posted a thread about this in "Learning Poker" :D. Probably would have been more fitting to post it in cash games.

I wish they had more general theory videos, hand examples are great but you have to watch a lot of them to really start to get a feel for what the general approach is.