The Suckout

P

PLay63

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My question is... I can't figure out when a player is a cronic donkey or not?
Let me explain. Yesterday I played in a live tournamant and was knocked out in the first hand. This is a short stack tournament begining with $1000 at the Turlock Poker Room in Turlock, CA. I was dealt 10h Jh and my position was on the button. No raise from the small or big blind. Flop... 10s Jc Qh. Both players checked and I bet $300. The small blind folded and the big blind gave me a wierd look and went all-in... I even asked him if he had flopped the straight or was on a draw. He told me to play my chips... please note that i have seen this player several times and know that he is a very aggressive player and I knew I had him beat so I called. He shows pocket 8's. Turn came a 9! River... 5. It took me about five seconds to realize that I was out of the tournament in one hand. What can I do? Is it just bad luck?
PLay63:eek:

kadafi

kadafi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He probably thought you were bluffing and thought that no one would call an all in on the first hand. thats the only logical way i can explain anyone going all in with 88 when the fllop was 10 J Q.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His play was poor to say the least. Of course its bad luck, he hit one of his 6 outs, he's a huge underdog in that hand. I've said it before, it's about the long game, you want players like this at your table because you make your profits from these type of players. I know that doesn't help you coz you got knocked out 1st hand, but think long term.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise pre flop on the button

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Or don't play tournaments with terrible structures :p

If everybody's starting really short stacked, then they need to accumulate chips fast to have a chance.

While your opponent's play in this hand was maybe questionable, I don't hate it: there should be a good chance of you folding anything less than the made straight because you don't want to go out first hand. If he does get called, he's got outs.

If he goes out on this hand, so be it. If he doubles up, then he's off to a good start in the tournament, maybe he's got a good chance of cashing. Actually, the more I think about it the more I like the play.