Straddle

H

hesketh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Apologies if I am asking something obvious, but today I encountered a „straddle“ and it appeared as if I would need to take a decision.
Now
I searched the help and the inet, still I do not understand this function and especially how to avoid it.

Can anyone explain for beginners?

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Apologies if I am asking something obvious, but today I encountered a „straddle“ and it appeared as if I would need to take a decision.
Now
I searched the help and the inet, still I do not understand this function and especially how to avoid it.

WHERE did you "Encounter" the straddle you are talking about ? Were you playing a cash game ? Or are you talking about just the word itself ?

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Its a stupid blind bet that raises the pot, Idont know why anyone wud use it, IMHO

H

hesketh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
It happened in a cash game on GG. A box appeared on the right bottom asking for straddle amount or all in amount.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Straddle is not allowed in tournaments but is an option in live cash games for UTG before cards are dealt. It acts as a third "oversized" blind so that if other players call this blind bet, the straddler has the option to raise the callers once the action is on him. Dealer normally does not ask UTG for straddle but should announce once a straddle is made. If you encountered a straddle, during your action, you need to make a decision to fold, call the straddle, or raise. :cool:

Last edited:
G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Now

Straddle is quite popular with cashgames .
There's even restraddles. Some pokerrooms offer it some don't. You can only avoid it by sitting down on table where this is not an option

H

hesketh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
If you encountered a straddle, during your action, you need to make a decision to fold, call the straddle, or raise. :cool:
That is more or less the answer I was looking for. Plus an indication on how I can fold then, because the straddle itself only gave two options (accept, all in).

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm not much of a cash game player and frankly dont get why you would want to straddle but one player I know who plays alot of live cash loves it an uses it a lot. He uses it to make the game bigger than it is and it puts other players out of there comfort zone. Well that is what he says anyways.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
... just a way to juice up the pot and get some action in the game👍

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Straddling in poker means putting at least twice the big blind into the pot before being dealt. Two big blinds is the minimum amount for a straddle, but there is no limit and the straddle can be much higher. Straddle is only allowed in cash games. Usually, in large tournaments, the rules do not allow you to make a voluntary bet.Used in "flop" games such as Texas Hold'em or Omaha where there are community cards. Traditionally, the straddle must be played before the dealer has dealt the cards, but sometimes the dealer will allow a bet to be made after the deal if no one has looked at the cards.