Sticking to one form of Poker!

madcham

madcham

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah... I've heard it all before... Practically every poker writer talks up the benifits of playing all forms of poker to improve you game. Although I generally tend to agree with most authored pros on their exetensive poker advice, I can't seem to make myself agree with this point of view! Personally, I'm a dedicated nl hold'em player and I don't really enjoy playing anything else. Moreover, I find that playing other forms of the game weakens my focus in NL! Now, I certainly don't want to upset any competent HORSE fanatics out there... and really won't appreciate any depricating comments on my lack of ability (I said I didn't like to play other games - not that I was terrible). I know my perspective is the minority. I was just wondering if anybody else out there thought the same way!

Cheers, - Madcham

X

xd40

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i came to poker for the money..
so i decided to specialize in one specific form of poker
ring 6max nl was the best choice.. i dont play tourneys nor other forms of poker.

doing great..

but i can see the need in high stakes to play other forms of poker due to game selection and at low stakes just to play something different or whatever

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play NL Hold em almost exclusively. We have a horse tourney here every now & then that I try to play just for old times sake & because I enjoy playing with the regular participants in this game. Can't say I have noticed any effect on my NL play. It's your time spend it as you wish.

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker can become really boring if you only play nl holdem. I used to think that i would never play any other game. There is a section in ss2 by Steve zolotow about learning all games that made me change my mind. You might enjoy nlhe the most, but i believe that there is more money to be won online in the other variations.
Also, learning more never hurts. Its not like your gonna become worse at holdem because you now play Omaha as well. I spend about 70% of my time online playing lhe + nlhe and 30% Oh/l + plo.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should have an open-mind about all forms of poker. You dont have to enjoy playing them, like you said, but its good to at least know how they are played. I think if you have some knowledge and understanding of different types of poker, you will have more respect for those who play that type of game. And you might also appreciate NLH even more as well.

I dont see how having more knowledge of poker is going to affect your game negatively. Actually, having more knowledge should actually improve your game, if anything.

madcham

madcham

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
excellent comments from all

I was afraid of hearing some seriously negative comments from this post - but I see that everybody here seems to have tollerance for other perspectives. I agree that knowing other forms of the game could deepen my appreciation of my favorite game. I appreciated the comment about the opportunity to make money with other types of games (well said!) That said though... I'm still reluctant to jump in the water - Perhaps it's just where I am in my stage of development as a poker player...

Cheers to all
-Madcham:D

madcham

madcham

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Love the Johnny Moss quote!

4Aces07,
What an awesome quote! Hope you don't mind... I'm gonna use it - It'll become my mantra for a while!

quote=4aces07;617609]I think poker can become really boring if you only play nl holdem. I used to think that i would never play any other game. There is a section in ss2 by Steve zolotow about learning all games that made me change my mind. You might enjoy nlhe the most, but i believe that there is more money to be won online in the other variations.
Also, learning more never hurts. Its not like your gonna become worse at holdem because you now play Omaha as well. I spend about 70% of my time online playing lhe + nlhe and 30% Oh/l + plo.[/quote]

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there's arguments both ways - if you're happy playing just NLHE from now until forever and you're making money from it then more power to you I guess. Phil Hellmuth has had a fine career playing NLHE pretty much exclusively.

Personally, I like some variety from time to time though.

T

the knob

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm cranking out a bonus or on autopilot on the laptop while doing other stuff on my desktop, I'll usually play NLHE as less thinking is involved in my opinion when compared to Omaha or seven-card stud. I occasionally play a little PLO on Ultimate Bet, but started that originally since the PLO games on the Crypto network was where I sat to earn out the monthly bonuses back in the day (just had to be in the hand). You can't just sit there and hope to make money, so it made me learn the game. I've also done the same on Absolute, playing low-stakes Omaha H/L to clear a bonus as the pots seemed larger at that blinds level than NLHE.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play HORSE, you must at least KNOW the other games. Personally, I suck at stud because I have never taken the time to learn. I do OK at Omaha. Somewhat better at Razz. I have seen pros playing Razz and almost every one at some time in the tournament says, "I HATE RAZZ!"

JacksRwild63

JacksRwild63

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its just a personal choice, I cant say i "like" all forms of poker, but i dont focus on just one either.