Speech Play

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all,
I play a lot of live poker and I usually use speech play to induce calls/folds/etc. I was wondering if anyone has any characteristic speech play they often use in certain situations that they think works a decent amount of the time?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You do realise with speech play, unless you are 100% consistent everytime in what you say (as in, same thing for bluff, value, thin etc, different bet sizes etc etc), you are just giving away free information for someone to use against you.

No one is 100% consistent so, your probably giving more away than you are getting.

steve101651

steve101651

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One game I bought in minimum- $50 at a 1/2 table at around 8pm on a Saturday... tough grinders hashing it out. As I was patiently sitting there, collecting my reads, and gathering what information I could I said to the 3 players to my right, and loud enough for the table to hear- "I only play face cards haha", and proceeded to fold. Shortly after I was holding 3,6 offsuit when I limped in to the flop, and BAM straight draw 1 face card. He bets, I calls. Turn completes my straight, I remind him again "That I only play face cards haha", he bets, I call, pretty much all in, we both check the river he was stunned. That trick worked two times that game against some really perceptive, critical thinkers. Feel free to use it if you are playing TAG style, and need to mix it up a bit.

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say my speech play is very inconsistent, but purposefully, like I will change up my approach to try to get my opponent to think I want them to fold, when I want them to call, and then reversing it if the first line worked, I do this type of thing especially when a couple of my friends and I play 4-handed and I am positive like 60$ on them out of mostly 2$, 5$ buy in games.

N

Nikita munko

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
See William Kassouf, he is master Splinter of speech play:)

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't speech play. Sorry just listen to me here you all do it incorrect.

William kassouf is a pigeon

M

mr_kommpa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You do realise with speech play, unless you are 100% consistent everytime in what you say (as in, same thing for bluff, value, thin etc, different bet sizes etc etc), you are just giving away free information for someone to use against you.

No one is 100% consistent so, your probably giving more away than you are getting.

I dont think speach play is bad. Just like you would 3bet more against someone that folds more to 3bets, you are not consitent but still make money. Same thing with speach play, if you feel like you can somehow talk someone into calling or folding then go ahead. I would though highly suggest you stay away from speach play when playing with other regs because I assume they either just cut your speaking off or exploit it.

Last edited:
Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speech play i use to keep the tilted at the table.

Jokes and keeping the table in good spirits... people happy will throw chips around

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friendly tables are always more lively. I don't care if you talk or not. I do care if you slow down the game with your yapping.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friendly tables are always more lively. I don't care if you talk or not. I do care if you slow down the game with your yapping.

If your good and annoyed ill keep slowing down and tilt you :)

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your good and annoyed ill keep slowing down and tilt you :)

That's a good point. If a player seems annoyed that your talking, why not talk more to throw him off their game. You do have to be careful that your not giving away information. This takes lots of live game practice. If you are just spouting off nonsense the better players are sure to gain information and utilize against you. Also make sure you are not throwing yourself off your own game. Your main objective is to gather information from other players so make sure not to lose focus. If you're not used to speech play I would probably just keep it to occassional chit chat in between hands. The best place to practice speech play is at your home game, where you are in a safe and friendly environment.

D

droozy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all,
I play a lot of live poker and I usually use speech play to induce calls/folds/etc. I was wondering if anyone has any characteristic speech play they often use in certain situations that they think works a decent amount of the time?

I use speech only to induce fold or if i want to get read on players hole cards.

J

Joepie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually don’t have anything against speech play as long as it isn’t interrupting the game to much. You have to consider you aren’t the only one at the table and speech play might annoy others or they might even feel you are disrespectful. What I tend to see is that most speech players are weak and trying to make their hand stronger than it actually is.

S

smuryof

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Use it sparingly, if at all. If you do, target someone else who likes to speech play. Most low-level speech players will tell you exactly what you should do, i.e. they will say "You should fold here" when that is, in fact, the correct play. So do the reverse - tell them the opposite of what they should do, and only do it once on a big hand. Don't over-use it.

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You do realise with speech play, unless you are 100% consistent everytime (...) you are just giving away free information for someone to use against you.

This!

When William Kassouf was playing on 888 poker festival with Rozvadov, everyone watching twitch stream were so excited about him and his speech play. But it turned out that players made some big folds against him, telling commentators afterwards that they had a solid read on him.

There are some players with a lot of experience in speech play like Daniel Negreanu, but such poker players are definitely a minority.

BTW. it seems even actors have problems with acting at a poker table :D

andreigabor

andreigabor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I don't like this speech play on the poker table, maybe sometimes it works, but i hate when someone is annoying another person on the table.

M

myuk1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way I see it, speech play is a huge gimmick. It may work against your friends when your all drinking, but sit down at a table with some pros and they will read you like a book. You may think you are "mixing it up" but people make a living of reading people and you will have tells that your friends arent picking up, but pros will.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would stay away from making speeches, they backfire too often and then you feel terrible.