Snarky duel vs trickster with top pair

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Full table @ $5-$10 NLH. Two early limpers and Hero has red pocket hooks and raises 6 BBs called by one limper and the big blind. Flop is 9c, 8c, 6h. Villain bets 5 BBs and Hero calls . Turn is 8s and Villain bets 35 BBs raised by Hero and Villain shoves. Both players started with 300 BBs. Pot is now almost 90 BBs. I was criticised for raising but I thought villain might be making a desperado move. After the shove, I was nearly convinced. Villain flipped over J9o.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Trust your read

Full table @ $5-$10 NLH. Two early limpers and Hero has red pocket hooks and raises 6 BBs called by one limper and the big blind. Flop is 9c, 8c, 6h. Villain bets 5 BBs and Hero calls . Turn is 8s and Villain bets 35 BBs raised by Hero and Villain shoves. Both players started with 300 BBs. Pot is now almost 90 BBs. I was criticised for raising but I thought villain might be making a desperado move. After the shove, I was nearly convinced. Villain flipped over J9o.

Thanks for posting.

Your read was right, your raise was right. Doyle Brunson once said "you have to gamble if you want to be a big winner at NL"

You gambled on the fact that your villain would get out of line and you were right. The key is to have solid reads and not start making these plays without the reads.

Hope this helps.

:):)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would just call the turn. 300bb is really deep to deep stacking off with an overpair, particularly on this kind of board. I know that it worked out this time, but I think that most opponents who are willing to bet/3bet the turn are going to show trips or better most of the time.

With that said, your read against this specific opponent turned out to be solid and congrats on winning $3k in this hand!