Small and medium pocket pairs (6 max)

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would be interested to here about your strategy with medium and small pocket pairs in 6 max.

In an unopened pot, I play all pocket pairs for a raise. The medium ones can be tricky to play, but it isn't really there I am struggling with. It is when there is a raise in front of me. I know someone is going to say it is all situational, which I understand, table dynamics, player dependant etc etc. I have been thinking about it quite a lot lately, and on scanning through my Holdem manager database I found my small pocket pairs aren't showing a profit, and my medium ones aren't doing to great either. It is a smallish sample to be fair, but I am always working on ways to improve my game.

Small Pocket pairs

I fold them to a raise out of position most times, I know some people suggest playing them for set value alone, but I think this can be a little spewy , especially when you aren't going to get someones stack most times. The exception is I will use them to defend my Blind with sometimes, 3 bet them though, not just flat call.

In position, I have been calling raises with my small Pocket pairs, I just find them so difficult to play lately, I think the games have got a little more aggresive, I used to be able to float the flop with them, and take pots away later, it seems even at $25NL now double barreling is far more common place, and most times you just can't defend against it.

Example pocket 5s on the button. MP with a tightish range raises, do you flat it ? Or just let it go ?

Middle Pocket Pairs

77-JJ

Much the same problem really, I am never sure when to 3 bet, and when to flat call. I read things like , 3 betting is wasting your hand, and turning it in to a bluff on the fop most times. Which is fair enough, but it is so much easier to play that way. I do my best to put players on ranges, but most times there are going to be plenty of hands in their range that crush you, I guess that is why aggression is so important in poker, you just can't continue past the turn with them a lot of the time. 1010 and JJ are more marginal entering in to the 3 bet range , depending on who raised and which position the raise came from.

I would be interested in your thoughts anywyay.