Sit at the table until you win back. Pros and cons of such a solution?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For example, you have lost a significant part of your stack. The desire to recoup always appears. Do you play more confidently or only worse? What are the pros or cons of not leaving the table until you win back?

Ellvira

Ellvira

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For example, you have lost a significant part of your stack. The desire to recoup always appears. Do you play more confidently or only worse? What are the pros or cons of not leaving the table until you win back?
if for some reason the game does not add up and the game goes minus sitting and waiting for me to recoup and get up, this is a bad idea

Banjois

Banjois

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The con is that you're on a downturn and it'll only get worse. There aren't really any pros; take a break, go for a little walk, and then give it another go.

aleomar86

aleomar86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my case, I get discouraged when my stack goes down flat, it is something that I must correct. my hopes are dashed.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Obviously, if you are unlucky, you need to stop and take a break. Usually a break always helps. But in any case, our patience and discipline are crucial.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I am not a cash game player, but SNG or MTT-player, I have to admit.

But when I read this, I just think, it must have very good reasons to stay at the table.
And this would be like you have been bad beated, but you know, that you are actually above the skills of the opponent. And you need to know very strong, that you are not drawn now away from feelings of tilt. Then it makes sense for me to stay at this table, otherwise not. Just an opinion from outside :)

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Walk away

Almost always, just get up and walk away. Sometimes you can make the right move, have the best hand on the flop/turn, get your money in good and still lose. If you've lost a bunch, just get up before you lose your composure and start playing differently/badly or straight up tilty. Unless you're a robot, all you're going to be thinking as you continue playing is "i'm down $xxxx, i'm down, i'm down, gotta make it back" Most likely you're going to push marginal hands or end up chasing more often. I've lost plenty to calling stations and chasers, so for sure it's not 100% you're going to lose if you open up your game, but odds aren't great.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First off why have you lost so much? Is it because you are playing bad or did someone suck out on you? If you are playing bad or tired ALWAYS get up and leave. However if you are at a table where you feel you are the better player and there are fish still to be caught, stay. If your game is solid and you stand to recover your losses why leave? I would also leave if the loss was going to change my game, example the loss has put me on tilt.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's better if you pay attention to your level of energy will to play and concentration. If it's there then play. If not you can always make it back another time.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can’t bring myself to leave the table until I’ve won back. I start to tilt, more than one bankroll has been lost on tilt.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Unless I'm losing to a drunk that keeps sucking out, I get up. Has to be something that helps me think something is going to change.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The beginning of the game may cause the loss of some part of the stack due to the lack of information about the opponents. This happens often. But there are situations in which it is difficult to make a competent fold. I promise myself that I will win back and start playing more focused. This helps not to leave the poker table.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Vallet. In my opinion, trying to get your money back is one of the hardest things to do, because you are focusing on the lost money instead of the money you can win after that point. What that causes, is that you will stop playing some hands that are calling hands, or you could even call a small raise with. hands like J10. But just don't get in there very deep. GL to you

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am sure that negative emotions only lead to losses. If you feel that you are not in control of your emotions, then the best way out is to take a break. A break prevents frustration and loss of money.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the idea is good, but what happens if you lose your whole bankroll?

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the idea is good, but what happens if you lose your whole bankroll?
The idea of bankroll management suggests that you enter the game only with the money you can afford to loose.
And before you enter the game you need to decide when to leave.
For example, you have $20 and you say I will leave when I lost $10 or I won $10, or when I got tired.
But you may also say that you can afford to loose $20
then when you loose $15 you can play 'to win it back'.

I think the only important here is to stick to the original plan and when you loose the set amount just leave , do not add another $20.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can easily go on tilt and lose a number of buy-ins. You should absolutely have a stop loss amount.

Also the less 'fresh' you are, the more prone to mistakes you are, so a longer session trying to 'get back to even' will likely have steady decrease in your decision making quality.

Also the table conditions could be bad - if you are up against better players, there is a good chance they will keep winning against you.

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I normally limit myself to 2 buy ins for a table. If I lose my stack twice to 2 bad beats, it's not my day and stop the session for a while.

If I've lost my stack twice because I'm being outplayed, it's time to leave and find a new table

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can easily go on tilt and lose a number of buy-ins. You should absolutely have a stop loss amount.

Also the less 'fresh' you are, the more prone to mistakes you are, so a longer session trying to 'get back to even' will likely have steady decrease in your decision making quality.

Also the table conditions could be bad - if you are up against better players, there is a good chance they will keep winning against you.

Tilt is another issue I'm trying to get a handle of. I try to limit myself to a downswing of 10 buy-ins max a day. Though I find even when I'm off the table I'm constantly thinking about the hands I lost those buy-ins on...

Fair enough if I was outplayed, but if I lost because of stupid mistakes or bad beats on the river, it plagues me

R

RDHartsoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played cash games and tournaments recently. I can say that I am not as good as cash games so I would not stay at a table if I am having a bad session.

E

EvandroGatti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it just dont go well. I've had some great results after a big down, but overall, it is a losing approach.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If, after a lost buy-in, I have negative emotions or a loss of concentration, I immediately close the poker client.
No acting out in such an emotional state. Only an even bigger loss.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my opinion is that the main thing is to see the opponent, who can help return the stack!

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Bad idea, I don't recommend playing to make up, it's almost always going to go bad.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Vallet. In my opinion, trying to get your money back is one of the hardest things to do, because you are focusing on the lost money instead of the money you can win after that point. What that causes, is that you will stop playing some hands that are calling hands, or you could even call a small raise with. hands like J10. But just don't get in there very deep. GL to you
Hello Gamer. You've hit the nail on the head by reducing the range of playing hands. Super-tight mode is enabled. If someone uses HUD, it is easier to bluff against him. I'm not focused on my hands, but on what the opponent can have. The small number of playing hands led to the fact that my longest win back lasted 15 hours. Good luck in cash games.