Shutting Down Set Against Calling Station

J

JaqkAttaqk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played one the other day that's been bugging me and I'd like some thoughts from the Community. I thought the play was correct, but recently downloaded Flopzilla and am now doubting the play (assuming I'm looking at it correctly).

There's no HUD on this site, had played about 50 hands at this point. I'd estimate Villan plays about 50% of hands with no thought of position and has calling station tendencies. Usually is not aggressive. Open limps regularly (rare open raise)

Micro Stakes 0.05/0.10 game; 5 players
Villan starts with 83BB from HJ
Hero starts with 87BB from SB
Hero dealt 5h5c

Villan Open Limps
CO and BUT fold
Hero raise to 4BB
BB folds
Villan Calls

Flop comes Ad Jh 5s
Pot is 9BB

Hero bets pot
Villan calls

Turn Comes Ac
Pot is 27 BB

Hero bets pot
Villan calls

River comes Jc
Pot is 81 BB

So what now?

I ended up checking, Villan shoved (about half pot) and I folded. The general thought at the time is that this is a player that I will eventually be able to beat, so no point risking with this board.

This is a situation that I feel I can improve on (strong hands with scary turn/river) or maybe I played/have been playing it right.

As always, I appreciate the inputs!

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can easily see you losing that hand. I think it was a good fold and I think your logic of hey this guy will eventually pay me off is sound. You could have shoved the turn but I believe if he had the Ace or jack he calls you anyway. Looks like to me you did the right moves and the river hosed you.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I agree with roger here. You more likely had him on the flop and turn and he would've probably called a shove on the turn, but since he didn't let go on the turn and that killer Jack hit the river, you made the right decision at that point.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you consider that the opponent paid the full pot on the flop, then on the turn you could try to bet all-in, with such a card on the river, of course, this is already a simple fold