Shoving bottom set on 3 same suit flop

begley01

begley01

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's the deal with this? People will 4-5 bet me all-in when they hit bottom set on boards with 3 of the same suit. Each time I had the nut flush or 2nd nut flush. I'm wondering whats the thought process of going all-in on these boards when I have a solid table image? Do people really think I will 4bet them with top pair and a nut flush draw or something?

PS. I have been knocked out of a bunch of tourneys lately like this, even with a good size chip stack.

Flush should win 65% of the time

Sorry if this sounds like a rant

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO its the 3-4 bet thats not allin that slows me down when i got the set. i find most people are likely to push w/ the draw not w/the made flush. but pending how many chips i got in already i may decide i can't get away from the hand and push. there is a whole range of hands a would consider before i shove. i would always consider an A high flush draw w/a pair or an over pair w/a flush draw too. just tough to get away from a set sometimes.

B

Bren

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like all other cases, it really depends on the situation.
Table image, position and such.
Overall, if I have bottom set on a suited flop, I might want to push all in to protect the pot. I think that most of the time my opponent won't have flopped the flush, and in many cases, he would've flopped a flush draw.
So I don't want to give him the draw and I'm all in with my set.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do people really think I will 4bet them with top pair and a nut flush draw or something?
Yes, they most certainly do. In fact, they'll think that you have a pair or 2, and are trying to pull them off a flush draw while trying to represent a made flush.

Like all other cases, it really depends on the situation.
Table image, position and such.
Overall, if I have bottom set on a suited flop, I might want to push all in to protect the pot. I think that most of the time my opponent won't have flopped the flush, and in many cases, he would've flopped a flush draw.
So I don't want to give him the draw and I'm all in with my set.

This would be pretty much exactly my answer. Sometimes you get burned. But if it's just 1 or 2 in the hand, I'm thinking you don't have it. If this was Omaha, I fold instantly. But different question. :p Anyway Begley, you talk about your solid table image. A standard raise with top pair and a nut flush draw would still be a solid play, IMO.

widowmaker89

widowmaker89

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all dont worry about your table image unless you play higher stakes than I think you do, people just dont pay attention. Second if you arent raising with a pair and nut flush draw you should.

You mention 5 betting all in, either you are not raising enough or you are playing in incredibly deep tournys that I am not sure exist.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all dont worry about your table image unless you play higher stakes than I think you do, people just dont pay attention. Second if you arent raising with a pair and nut flush draw you should.

You mention 5 betting all in, either you are not raising enough or you are playing in incredibly deep tournys that I am not sure exist.

This, I still don't get how there can be a 5-bet all-in but getting a set all-in on a monotone flop is pretty standard assuming you're not like 200+ bbs deep.

begley01

begley01

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5 bet is not common but it has happened in a SnG with 20 chip blinds and sometimes in cash games when people are 100 BB's deep. I might see the turn in the future to see if the board pairs. However if 4th same suit comes, villain might not pay me off.

Caseace48

Caseace48

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say shipping it with a set showing a single suited board is a pretty standard play, even with 4 bets especially at the micro-stakes level. As you move up maybe not as much so but definitely in most cases.

PS. Begley your quote is amazing :D