This is a live 2/3 game - full ring
I am UTG with A7 limp, 6 callers
FLOP A 7 4 Pot21

I lead 20 (with 850 behind)
MP raise to 85(with 250 behind)
BRN call 85(with 500 behind)

I believe I am way ahead of MP’s range - worse two pair or a Ace
BTN just call make him look like a flush draw

I shove here, want to call by MP as he only have a pot size bet behind, BTN probably fold with a weak draw

MP tank call, I immediately know I am ahead of him
To my surprise BTN snap call

Board runs :A 7 48K

MP said he has A9
BTN show 44

Will you shove here in my spot, or flat call 85 will be a better play?

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very bad game. These cards A7o do not open from UTG. It's negative. Especially limp.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a feature of the game without raising a large number of calls. Even having received a good hand (two pairs) you cannot be sure that you are ahead of everyone. I also see a flush draw on the board, and a completely unexpected straight with 56 in the hands of the villain. You must either knock them out of the game pre-flop, or just throw your A7 out of early position.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
the majority of hands are won by 2 pairs...most of the time you would be good, but there are of course exceptions...

Last edited:
A

alexis888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that limp with A-7 in UTG is somewhat risky.

N

NotNegreanu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A7 off is not an utg open

This is a live 2/3 game - full ring
I am UTG with A¢¾7 limp, 6 callers
FLOP A¢¼ 7¢À 4¢ÀPot21

I lead 20 (with 850 behind)
MP raise to 85(with 250 behind)
BRN call 85(with 500 behind)

I believe I am way ahead of MP¡¯s range - worse two pair or a Ace
BTN just call make him look like a flush draw

I shove here, want to call by MP as he only have a pot size bet behind, BTN probably fold with a weak draw

MP tank call, I immediately know I am ahead of him
To my surprise BTN snap call

Board runs :A¢¼ 7¢À 4¢À8K¢À

MP said he has A9
BTN show 44

Will you shove here in my spot, or flat call 85 will be a better play?

Firstly Id like to say I don't personally agree with opening A7 off from utg, but that's just my opinion. As to whether you should go all in after hitting top two pair depends on who you're playing, stack sizes, from what position were you called etc. If you opened from utg and someone calls you then USUALLY they have a premium hand like suited connectors and high Ax Kx maybe even suited Qx and on the rare occasion they call you with pocket 4's and you enter into a 40% vs 60% odds pre flop then tough luck. But seeing as you flopped top two pair its definitely a shove in my eyes, tough you could just check back to make yourself seem weak and then raise shove to whoever bets, if they call and you see a turn for free and its a safe turn you shove, which would look like you're bluffing but in reality you have two pair.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like people have already mentioned, limping A7o from UTG is a disaster. Even if I were on tilt and decided to play that hand, raising it large from UTG is much, much better.

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One the flop came and you hit two pair with the action that took place then shoving is the move I would make.