Should I move up stakes because rake is too high?

A

asauceda1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played 2200 hands at 2 cent 5 cent on ignition! I have broke even in profit but have paid 93 dollars in rake! if rake was half I would have made so much money! Should I switch to a different site or move up in stakes so I pay less in rake? Please help! Thanks!

A

asauceda1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
please delete! There was a error in pokertracker!

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No need to delete this thread. I think your story makes sense regardless of the error. Rake at the lowest buy-in SNG & cash games is absurd in general - across all networks. That's a good motivation to grind it out for proper BRM and move up.

I

induce

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
a rule a thumb that i follow -
you should move up in stakes when you roughly profit 10bb per hour at the stakes you are currently sitting at

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Error or not the amount of rake at the micros suck but it is what it is. Grinding out of the micros is all we can do.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Error or not the amount of rake at the micros suck but it is what it is. Grinding out of the micros is all we can do.
No dude. You are better off just working for minimum wage for a few days and saving up some money for a decent bankroll. Grinding away at the micros is grinding away your life for the benefit of the poker room. Your time is more valuable than that. If you're not improving anymore as a player in the micros and are earning less per hour than your day job, you can do better.

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No dude. You are better off just working for minimum wage for a few days and saving up some money for a decent bankroll. Grinding away at the micros is grinding away your life for the benefit of the poker room. Your time is more valuable than that. If you're not improving anymore as a player in the micros and are earning less per hour than your day job, you can do better.

This is an interesting perspective. Grinding at the micros has definitely been very frustrating. I want to be a better player before I play at higher stakes, but I definitely believe that having a job first and saving up for a good bankroll is massively important.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A big problem for micro stakes players is pretty much every site say they want to help lower level and recreational players but they do the complete opposite. They make the rake extremely high and they remove any value from the bonuses by removing rakeback or good bonuses. The bonuses these days are virtually worthless at the top sites who offer mainly freerolls in a 10% bonus scheme for micro stakes players. It appears an unfair system that charges playerA a bigger % than playerB gets charged because of the stakes they play while offering playerA a devalued bonus deal compared to playerB. But the micro stakes player pool is what generates most of the income for sites i guess and they wouldn't get away with shafting higher stakes plaayers the same way. And 95% of the micro stakes player pool dont really care about rakeback and bonus deals to kick up any real fuss. My own thoughts have always been players should get the same bonus deals regardless of the stakes. So if playerB gets 27% bonus return on the rake they generate then so should playerA and the higher your stakes the higher your bonus return would be obviously.

Last edited:
N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the players in poker sites are micro stakes recreational players. If you want to earn enough from them higher rake is the only way to achieve it. Rake back, lower rake on the higher stakes and promotions are way to stimulate better players to move up and play at higher stakes.

X

xxgsaint5501xx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played 2200 hands at 2 cent 5 cent on Ignition! I have broke even in profit but have paid 93 dollars in rake! if rake was half I would have made so much money! Should I switch to a different site or move up in stakes so I pay less in rake? Please help! Thanks!

The only appropriate reason to move up in stakes is to make more money, provided your bankroll is sufficient for the higher level, If you are just breaking even with the rake, it is almost assuredly that you will be a losing player at a higher level.