Should I go all in with top two pair?

M

MrUnlikely

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live 9 handed, low limit (like $1-$2) started to rack up my chips while I played one more hand. I had about 500BB after winning about 350BB. Other guy also had a similar stack.
I had AQo on button and Cut-off raised preflop. I flatted.
TBH I don't remember the details, but I know he raised me on the Q97rainbow flop. He was betting a lot like he wanted to get it all in.
Top-top is nice, but he was definitely betting like he was confident he was ahead. I felt he probably had a set, maybe a draw like 8T.
The turn was an Ace. He bet large. I called.
He made a large river bet after a blank river. I called.

He turned over 97.

The pot was about 300-350 big blinds at this stage.

Not that complicated, but one of the guys at the table asked me why I didn't raise. I said the way he was betting I felt he might have trips.

Should I have raised? I sometimes fear trips, but I have also noticed most of the time I am wrong, like this time. I have started to tell myself to not put people on trips, because it is so rare that it actually is trips.

Should I have raised?

Am I correct to not put people on trips? Any card on the board can be trips, so it seems like a threat that is always there. How should I deal with that threat? If they seem to want to get it all in on a dry board, it seems more likely.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Live 9 handed, low limit (like $1-$2) started to rack up my chips while I played one more hand. I had about 500BB after winning about 350BB. Other guy also had a similar stack.
TBH I don't remember the details, but I know he raised me on the Q97rainbow flop. He was betting a lot like he wanted to get it all in.
Top-top is nice, but he was definitely betting like he was confident he was ahead. I felt he probably had a set, maybe a draw like 8T.

He turned over 97.

Not that complicated, but one of the guys at the table asked me why I didn't raise. I said the way he was betting I felt he might have trips.

Should I have raised? I sometimes fear trips, but I have also noticed most of the time I am wrong, like this time. I have started to tell myself to not put people on trips, because it is so rare that it actually is trips.

Should I have raised?

Am I correct to not put people on trips? Any card on the board can be trips, so it seems like a threat that is always there. How should I deal with that threat? If they seem to want to get it all in on a dry board, it seems more likely.

I think your asking yourself the wrong question as your playing. You said he raised you on the 79Q flop. The question you should be asking your self is what am I beating. YOu have AQ and with a Q on the flop its less like he has that hand. Would he do this with KQ or KJ? Maybe. Would he do this with aces or kings? He probably would. 2 pair like 79 Probably. Set of 7 or 9's. Yes he would. Would he do that with a draw? Many wont reraise and continue on the turn. possible but as you said he looked like he wanted to get it in. What hands would you play like this? The thing is there was 300 -350BB and you hit 2 pair and he bets again. Again what hands do you beat? You had top 2 so calling was probably smart but the way this hand was playing what hands did you put him on? Would he bet a pair here? Possible but not as likely. 2 pair. You beat 79 so that logical. You lose to the sets. The fact he bet the rives I would have put him on a set or 2 pair. He re raise so 79 was the most likely 2 pair not knowing the turn card.

Not sure about his river bet there. Wonder what if anything he was thinking by betting large there. You could have a Q and would he honestly expect you to call that river if you had KQ or QJ.

To answer your question would I have raised him there? No i would not have. OK I dont know the players is why I would ave taken that rough as reads are inportant and player dependent. I would have been concerned he had a set or exactly what he had, the 2 pair. I would rather control the pot size with just the top pair there.

U

UberPokerFan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should have raised. Preflop the villain has a wide range. Since you flatted the preflop raise, you might have been perceived to be weak. That could have caused the villain to play aggressively if they hit any part of the flop. If you look at the range the villain would continue with, it is quite large, about 130 hands. Of that 130, only 6 are sets with 9s or 7s. Sets of AA and QQ are less likely because you hold AQ. On the turn, the villain's hand count would drop to about 70 so set hands account for about 10%. After the river, the villain's hand count would drop to about 40 (without bluffs) so the set hands now only account for 15% of the villain's hands. AQo has >50% equity against the villain's range so you could have raised.

Should you fold if the villain shoved in response? I don't think they would shove Q9 or 97. They could have A9 or A7; you beat all 12 hands. You tie with AQ (9 hands) and lose to 6 hands of 99 and 77. If you include AA and QQ in the villain's range, you still have 50% equity. So calling the shove would be profitable in the long run.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wonder what "betting like he wanted to get it all in" looks like. With a Q97 flop, the question I would ask is, "What would Villian open with? " He is loose, so lots of high cards, suited connectors to some level and pairs. Given there are only 6 pairs and 16 combos of say AK. The odds Villian has 99 or 77 are low.

What can he be betting on the flop? AA, KK, JJ, TT, JT lots of combos. and Hero blocks the Queens. Lots of aggressive players will C-bet any flop. Calling isn't bad here, IMHO.

When the Ace come on the turn all of those Ax bluffs are now top pair, and the draws have not hit. When Villian bets Hero is behind on very few hands. I would bet here already having decided I would call a re-raise.

With the blank of the river followed by a big raise I don't think I would raise now. If he is bluffing he won't call, He might call the low pair he had, but he definitely class all of his trips. If Hero bets, he must be willing to call a shove.

Good Luck

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

He turned over 97.

Should I have raised?

I would not raise to. I dont set the villain range a 97, just if i'm playing with him a long time and am pretty sure he is very loose.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

He turned over 97.

Should I have raised?

I don't really see anything wrong with just calling down here

Yes you beat lots of hands... but which of them will call a river raise?

Will A9, A7 call a river raise? Q9 Q7 (if he even has these?)

given how deep you are and that if you raise you could face another raise back for stacks (deep stacks at that) I think calling down is fine.

Your table mates aren't likely thinking about relative hand strength, and also aren't thinking about what hands would call a raise from you... just because you have the best hand some of the time doesn't mean you need to put a raise in... that's a concept a lot of newer players don't understand (heck it took me years to understand that one).

So.... unless you beat 50% or more of the range he will call a raise with then calling down is fine.

Some quick combos for fun...
A9 - 6 combos
A7 - 6 combos
97 - 9 combos
AA - 1 combo
QQ - 1 combo
99 - 6 combos
77 - 6 combos
turn set - 6 combos

so... he has just ONE more combos of hands you beat than hands which beat you... if he will call a raise with ALL his 2 pairs... then sure you can raise... but it's close... and if he's folding any of them to a raise then the risk isn't really worth the reward

Seems like you played it just fine to me

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would. After all there would be other tourneys. I would not do it in the Bubble though.