Should I fold?

M

Moncie Lee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Had a pretty good day, sitting on largest stack at the table (1/3) live cash game. Dealt pocket sevens on the button, raised & got two callers.
The flop came 7s 8s Qd
The first player went all in for $200, the next player went all in for $300. Can I - should I find a fold here?
I had $900 and called facing AQ and As8c
The board ran runner runner spades & I lost to the flush
My main question is how can I use flopzilla (or another solver) to determine my EV facing two all ins. Am I still a favorite here getting my money in? Or has it become a coin flip against two players
Not a bad beat story but a spot where I thought I was a strong favorite and may not have been. This is my first post. I am an avid student of the game just trying to get better. All comments are welcome

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You were the favourite and just got unlucky. You can download equilab for free type the cards and flop in to see the equities. I guess you would have had about 70%. My only concern would have been that someone had a bigger set in which case you would have had very little equity
You can also put a range of hands in equilab to see your equity v likely ranges

M

Moncie Lee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I have flopzilla & poker cruncher
But I want to evaluate the equity when two players rip the pot ahead of me and I don’t know how to do this. I know that every hand loses equity when facing multiple opponents.
I can assess my chances against each opponent individually, but want to discover the combined effect from multiple players. It’s often hard to avoid multiple players in the games I play no matter how you try to isolate. Maybe I’m asking for something that can’t be done, but I’m hopeful. Thanks for your reply, I think I’m going to like this forum

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I don't see the point of looking for sites when it's all here in Cardschat. 🤗
Use the odds calculator online.🌺🌺🌺
20221028 134512

Any spades on the turn still keeps you the favorite because you have a set, even though the opponent has more outs (your 7 outs versus his 8 outs).
But this is poker, in which, by clicking All-In, you only have luck or unluck.

Last edited:
ipagan

ipagan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips

Andyreas,​

Chica_bonita

thanks for this links! Ultra super cool tools (y)(y)

ipagan

ipagan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think your descision was 100% right to call this all-in. If you are very tight player OK you could think that opps have 88 QQ in their hands and fold. Less likely that Q8 Q7 or 78 but if you so you beat this hands. And even less likely that someone goes all-in with the flash draw, so we should not worry much about that too. I would say that probably your opps did the wrong move to go all-in with their hands..
And from the bank perspective you needed to add 1/3 of bank to win +50% to it and you had almost dream flop with pocket pair. So I should call it as well :)

And now we see that solvers says that you had 94% for the win and that's sad that you did everything right and lost, but of course that happens some times ;(

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree you did the right thing with the wrong result, happens all the time and is part of the game, recently I faced a similar situ in a 1/3 game, I had AK suited bet 3BB and had 1 caller board came AK7, opp checked I bet opp jammed. I called yep he had pocket 7s....my bad luck

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hard to fold that hand and in the end it was just bad luck.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
given that both went all-in, you show the results knowing their hand, but made a decision before the showdown, yet it's just unlucky, what do you think knowing their hand went all-in?

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Without a doubt you were the favorite, in that play he is practically paying everything in the flot

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hi, I find the hand interesting so I'll try to explain IMO what to expect in this situation:
When facing 2 all-in on a wet board, try to always find a reason to fold. Here if we think about ranges, you don't have the nuts, there is 88, QQ which gives vilains top set.
The action is up to you and you have only 2 choices, fold or call. As you are already involved in the hand and you have opened with a raise we assume that if you fold you just loose -3bb or -2bb (the amount of your raise)
If you call, there is a side pot, as one player has 200$ (player A) and the other has 300$ (player B)
Now let's give them some ranges, I'm giving player A a range of 2 pairs Q8o, 87o, and player B T9, 65 of spades and off.
In this scenario you have 53.10% equity (nearly a coin flip)
Player A 17.04%
Player B 29.86%
Now we calculate the pot odds: 500$ in the pot, and you have to call 300 so the odds are : 1.66:1 = 37.59%
As you have more equity than the odds we can say that is +EV in this scenario.
The worst scenario : one of the players is holding 88 or QQ and your equity drops down to nearly 4% (there are 6 combinations of top set)
As it is a live cash game, why risk your chips (not an mtt), I prefer to fold, I think that it's a reasonable option.

The formula for calculating the EV is: Value = p1*V1 + .... + pk*Vk
EV = proba of you winning and both players looses * total pot + proba of player A wins (you & B loose) * main pot + you win vs B * side pot + you loose vs B * side pot + proba of B wins * total pot

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Had a pretty good day, sitting on largest stack at the table (1/3) live cash game. Dealt pocket sevens on the button, raised & got two callers.
The flop came 7s 8s Qd
The first player went all in for $200, the next player went all in for $300. Can I - should I find a fold here?
I had $900 and called facing AQ and As8c
The board ran runner runner spades & I lost to the flush
My main question is how can I use flopzilla (or another solver) to determine my EV facing two all ins. Am I still a favorite here getting my money in? Or has it become a coin flip against two players
Not a bad beat story but a spot where I thought I was a strong favorite and may not have been. This is my first post. I am an avid student of the game just trying to get better. All comments are welcome

It's a call all day on such a dry board.

Sure, you might lose to runner runner....but you have to get your chips in.
I can only think of one situation where I'd fold.

Folding in Poker